From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Rob Wilburn"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 7:22 AM

As I am reading your question, it is unclear as to whether you are asking how life came about (a scientific question) or for what purpose did life come about (that is, what motive was behind the decision that life should exist). As you can probably see by the way I reworded the second possibility, it might involve begging the question: by the second possibility seriously, one answers the very question one is asking.

As Mister Rogers might put it: "Can you say, 'Trick Question'? Sure!"

Please read my response to similar, more in-depth questions posed by a pantheist. Then, check out my writeup on the logical fallacy of Begging The Question.

Here is the excerpt, and you can link to the entire discussion above.

Graphic Rule

    1. Why is there existence rather than non-existence?
    2. Why does I (the concept of self) exist?

Atheism doesn't pretend to answer these questions, but usually just leaves them as questions. Atheism simply challenges the notion that a god is required to explain the existence of the universe and the existence of consciousness. Victor Stenger makes a great case that the universe is accidental, and that this notion does not violate any known laws of physics. Steven Pinker (and to some extent Richard Dawkins and to another extent Victor Stenger) give equally compelling reasons for thinking that consciousness is the result of events and processes that occurred naturally, that is, without any supernatural intervention or without there being any specific innate properties in the universe (an Anthropic Principle) that would inevitably lead to the existence of consciousness.

As to explaining why there is existence rather than nonexistence (apart from saying that we just happen to exist) goes beyond the scope of any natural science I've encountered. The way you worded your question, you could be asking, "What processes led to existence?" but I don't think this is your question. I think you are asking "For what purpose did existence come to be?" or even "What motive was behind the decision to bring existence about?" To even ask this question is to beg the question that existence has some sort of purpose beyond itself.

Science does not pretend to pursue these questions. I think should science discover a Creator or an Anthropic Principle, these would be legitimate questions for science, but they are moot unless and until such a discovery is made.

The question of consciousness is similar but fraught with fewer problems. Again, you could be asking "What processes led to the existence of consciousness" and science can (potentially) give adequate answers to this question (though, as Pinker admitted in 1999, science may as yet have provided such answers when it comes to explaining how the human "I" works). But to ask to explain a motive is to beg the question of the existence of a Creator or an Anthropic Principle.

    Strangely enough I can actually answer those two questions under this assumption and as the above assumption is of a Pantheist nature....bingo, I'm a Pantheist.

No wonder you lost a lot of sleep on these questions: they are invalid in the discussion as to whether a Creator or an Anthropic Principle exists because they beg the question you actually seek to answer: "Is there even a purpose for existence?" By even entertaining these questions, you have provided your answer: a Creator and/or an Anthropic Principle explain possible motives for bringing about existence and consciousness.

Graphic Rule

Let me know if this helps.

Cliff Walker
"Positive Atheism" Magazine

Graphic Rule

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Rob Wilburn"
Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 1:40 PM

"Purpose" implies motive, and I don't see the evolutionary process itself as having a motive. Though an individual pool of self-replicating molecules can be said to be "trying" to survive, this, literally, is not the case.

And no, the evolutionary process cannot be shown to be leading toward any utopian anything. It is conceivable, though, that if a certain dinosaur had sneezed at a given moment, spreading a specific virus to a species of small pre-mammals, humans wouldn't be here.

So, the correct answer to your question, I think, is: "This is a poorly worded question at best, and a trick question at worst." A fairer question would be: "Is there a motive or purpose to the overall existence of life in general?"

Cliff Walker
"Positive Atheism" Magazine

Graphic Rule