Cliff's Writings
Brett Rice

Graphic Rule

From: Cliff Walker <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Critical Thinker writings
Date: Sunday, October 18, 1998 1:56 PM

No human is my enemy unless that person seeks to destroy me or put me at a disadvantage. Thus, one must be more than a Christian (or a Muslim or a Hindu) to be my enemy. It is this added "something" that I wish to discuss on this Forum, more than simply whether someone is religious.

Your approach to faith is commendable and is, fortunately for all of us, becomming increasingly popular. I have read works by Bishop John Spong (American, Episcopalian), Gerd Lüdemann (German, Lutheran, who recently renounced his faith), Ernie Bringas (American, Methodist) and others who express similar views.

As an atheist, I do not have a belief in any gods. In practicing the Positive Atheism of Gora, Joseph Lewis, and others, I teach that any alleged benefits from religion can better be achieved through our own efforts. This never precludes the dignity of personal, private religion among individuals and groups.

I would hope that anybody -- religious or otherwise -- would join in the effort to keep state and church separate. The move to "Christianize" America is probably the most frightening political movement since the McCarthy anti-Communist hysteria of the 1950s. (As it turns out, McCarthy himself was addicted to opiates, which could explain how his movement became so hysterical.)

http://www.PositiveAtheism.org/
editor@positiveatheism.org

"I am a perfect specimen
   of the human species
   in that I am perfectly human."
      -- Cliff Walker

"A stupid man's report of what
   a clever man says is never accurate
   because he unconsciously translates
   what he hears into something
   that he can understand."
      -- Bertrand Russell

From: Cliff Walker <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 12:33 AM

I am now independent and am no longer involved with any organization. Right now, this is my magazine -- Positive Atheism -- and I do not know what became of the Critical Thinker because I do not own it and never did. I have always owned this WEB Space and did, for a long time, donate this space to the support of the Critical Thinker's parent organization.

Please note my new e-mail address, though this has nothing to do with the new name.

I don't have a comprehensive political viewpoint, but have opinions on many specific issues. One view that almost all organized atheist organizations and atheist spokespersons have is that separation of state from church is essential to the freedom of and from religion.

I was held in jail a little over ten years ago specifically for refusing a judge's orders to undergo religious instruction in the form of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and AA-based "treatment." (It's in quotes because I still don't know what there is to treat, neither do I understand what the "treatment" consists of.) It looked as if the judge was giving me a choice and that I chose jail over religion -- but when I got out I still had to go and stand in a circle and recite the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13), which is integral to all but the most progressive AA meetings.

This is the most important issue that relates to my involvement with this magazine: Jefferson's "Wall of Separation." Other than that, I am basically a mind-your-own-business small-"L" libertarian. (I'm not a member of the Libertarian Party and don't pretend to understand what they teach.)

I think Liberty is the most important word that was ever uttered by a human. I strongly caution people never to divorce the concept of liberty from the concept of personal accountability.

Cliff Walker, editor
"Positive Atheism" Magazine