Gerry D.:

Graphic Rule

Sam K.:

Graphic Rule

Rich Askins, PE -- Ethical Culturist:

Graphic Rule

Richard C. Carrier, Jr.:

Graphic Rule

Greg Erwin, VP, Humanist Association of Canada

Graphic Rule

Jennifer:

Graphic Rule

Tom:

Graphic Rule

Alex:

Graphic Rule

Bob:

Graphic Rule

Jim:

Graphic Rule

Dhruv Bhoot:

graphic rule

Unsigned:

graphic rule
Added: April 15, 2001

To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Are_There_Values_In_Religion_That_We,_As_Atheists,_Are_Missing_9930
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2001 5:33 AM

I don't see this as a valid question. Many Christians enjoy reading tales of Noah's ark to their children. I find this similar to reading Nazi backed literature as a bedtime story. God created a flood which exterminated many innocent men, women and children. Hitler exterminated innocent men, women, and children, and didn't even have to use supernatural forces. Both are justified by their supporters. "Heathens and heretics" are seen as less than human by fundamentalists just as Jews were seen as less than human by Nazis.

graphic rule
Added: July 5, 2001

From: "Andrew Boyle"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Are There Values In Religion That We, As Atheists, Are Missing?
Date: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 11:02 PM

Man is a finite creature in an infinite universe. This is the eternal, if unfortunate, state of our existence. It is not likely to change. No matter how much we improve ourselves, our society, our machines, there will always be that which is beyond our comprehension. There will always be the unknown.

The unknown is a simple question mark: the lack of an answer. The best of us push the limits of knowledge: searching for answers, exploring the fringes of our universe, making hypotheses and conducting experiments. When the well-constituted human being is confronted with an enigma, it is enough that he say "I don't know." Patiently and carefully the best human beings push the limits of collective knowledge ever outward.

Unfortunately for our species and its history, the vast majority of people are neither patient nor careful. When confronted by the unknown, the demand an answer: any answer! Thus, led on by charlatans and lunatics, the great masses embraced religion.

Religion is an absurdity. To extrapolate from a question mark the Kingdom of Heaven and the Pit of Hell, God and Satan and all the choirs of Angels is an irrationality without parallel in human thought. The ridiculous nature of Religion becomes ever more apparent as science advances.

Our primitive ancestors populated the world beyond their camp-fires with Ghosts and Demons and all manner of monstrous apparitions. Most of us have progressed little since that time. Men still cling to their outmoded beliefs; they still create Gods and Spirits to inhabit the universe beyond their knowledge. All well and good so long as these nebulous beings do not interfere with the real world, but sixty centuries of human history have shown that this has never been the case. How many wars have been waged in the name of God? How many great men persecuted as heretics and pagans? How many millions murdered because they refused to substitute one set of lies for another?

Even today, religion impedes the advance of science and the betterment of the human race. Genetic experiments on human beings have been outlawed for "ethical" (read moral) considerations. The Holy Fools and their followers fear the consequences of "playing in the realm of God". Because of Christian opposition to abortion it is illegal in America to use aborted fetuses for medical experimentation that might save lives and restore quality to the lives of those struck down with certain congenital illnesses. (Never mind that this is illogical as such experimentation could bring some 'good' from the 'evil' of abortion: the most glaring logic has never impeded the crusader!)

American students have the lowest scores in Math and Science than any other industrialized nation (and a good number of pre-industrialized nations), yet our politicians argue not over curriculum but whether or not students should be allowed to pray in school. In the state of Kansas, the school board has decided to allow the teaching of creationism in schools. Is this understood? Students in 21st century America are being taught that man was created by Jehovah in 4004 BC from dust and ashes, and that woman was created from one of his ribs!

Religion has become the refuge and shield of the Luddite. The technophobe can find "evidence" confirming his most inane fears in the texts of mystics who have been dead for millennia. Wherever a scientist seeks to discover, one finds a priest opposing him. Wherever a philosopher seeks the truth, one finds a Holy Fool shouting, "Blasphemy!"

If this absurdity ever had a use it has long since passed. If men behave and do not murder each other in the streets it is fear of the police, not the fear of God, that enforces them to good behavior. The modern state, equipped with modern technology, is better than a substitute for Religion.

The right thinking and intelligent people of the Earth must no longer tolerate the Tyranny of the religious! To regard religion as a harmless eccentricity is a deadly error of the first order: Religion is a world plague! It is the mental retardation of the human race: a tumor in the brain of humanity, a tumor which must be excised!

It is the duty of the enlightened to mercilessly attack the benighted enemy (Philosophically, of course)!

Religion in All its Forms must Be Destroyed!

-- Boyle