Alcoholics Anonymous
Meant To Be Voluntary
Chuck Chamberlain

Graphic Rule

From: Cliff Walker <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: CHUCK CHAMBERLAIN
Subject: Re: thank you
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 6:46 PM

If AA is not meant to be forced upon people, then it seems that AA would be vigorously opposing this practice. I think the minimum demonstration to show that AA is not meant to be forced upon people would be a decision from World Services recommending to groups that they refuse to sign attendance slips.

When AA and NA and the others do this, I will again believe them when they claim that the Program is voluntary. Until they do, we have no reason to believe them when they tell the public that their program is voluntary and anonymous.

Several lawsuits are documented in our "Recovery Watch" page and also at Rational Recovery's page. Of primary concern is the courts' repeated declaration that AA is "unequivocally religious" when it comes to Constitutional definition for religion.

I wish I was in a position to lobby World Services (AA) or the World Service Board (NA) to make such a pronouncement. NA has made similar pronouncements ("recommendations") on other issues that do not reflect so heavily on NA's identity.

Don't let them pull the old "outside issue" routine on you. This is not an "outside issue" because volunteerism is crucial to NA's very identity.

I cannot (and should not) try to change AA or NA from the outside. I can, however, bring this travesty to the public attention, and can lobby for changes in public policy. Even working from both ends, I don't see us making all that much headway, what with all the anti-drug hysteria afloat.