Atheism Is A Religion
Joe Kozuh

Graphic Rule

From: "Cliff Walker" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Joe Kozuh
Subject: Re: Your Religion Is More Important than ...
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:37:22 -0800

If you are going to make up your own definitions for words, then we cannot have a discussion. I suggest you consult your nearest Mirriam-Webster's and then make your case that I am religious. I am not religious in any of the traditional meanings of the word.

From: "Cliff Walker" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Joe Kozuh
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:40:26 -0800

Humanism is a religion: the Humanists wanted it that way. Otherwise I would be a Humanist rather than just an atheist who is trying to develop a proactive angle for atheism. Atheism is the lack of religion, and the Humanists have decided to apply the two -- atheism and religion -- into a workable philosophy.

I would disagree with calling Communism a religion, because it fits very nicely into the category of political philoshopies. We don't need to create more confusion on the issue by taking liberties with the meanings of words.

Definition 3 for "religious" in Mirriam Webster's describes "scruprlously or concientiously faithful" -- but to apply this to atheism would be a bit too ironic, and would come off as sounding hostile. I can see someone saying "He attends the Cubs' games religiously" but it would be cruel to say this about someone engaging in atheistic activities.

It sounds like your EA article may have been written by a theist who has a bone to pick.

Howso?

I use the industry standard: Mirriam Webster's Tenth Collegiate. And, like all reference books, I understand that its articles were written by humans and ratified by committees. When seeking the definition for a specialized word, such as "atheism," I take into consideration the historical viewpoints of those involved: in this case, the atheists.