Sink To The Level?
Robert Inks

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: rink
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Saturday, June 05, 1999 2:19 AM

It does seem, from his tone, that he is trying to "reduce" us in any way he can. One method he used (and that has been used by others) is to say that we have "faith" or that (in his case) I am a Christian.

I sensed an irony in this, and (I guess) that sense of irony is not shared by all.

Nevertheless, I added a PostScript to my response to his letter, and I appreciate you pointing this out. I will think about this metaphor before I use it again, to see if I can take your observations into consideration. I detect this is what is happening when those who write to us in a condescending tone, who also accuse us of having "faith," are, I think, trying to show that we're not superior to them because we do (in thier minds) exactly what we accuse them of doing.

P.O. Box 16811
Portland, OR 97292
http://www.PositiveAtheism.org/
editor@positiveatheism.org

"As soon as you're born
   They make you feel small..."
         -- John Lennon (1940-1980)

"Changes take place, not independent of
   man's will, but on account of man's wills.
   Civilization has progressed by man's
   interference with material conditions."
         -- Gora (1902-1975)

"The legitimate powers of government extend
   to such acts only as are injurious to others.
         -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)