From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: rink
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 5:16 AM

Nobody has ever given me a reason to believe that their respective god-myths are true.

This is like asking me what proof I have that the Easter Bunny story is fiction. I don't need proof; on the contrary, if someone wants me to believe that the Easter Bunny exists, that person needs to come up with a good reason for believing their claim is true.

If I told you that an invisible leprachaun lives in my Chicago Cubs baseball cap, would you have any reason to believe me? What if I asked you to prove that no invisible leprachauns exist: would you be able to prove it? Have you scoured the entire universe to show that no invisible leprachauns exist?

You wouldn't need to do this. If I claim the existence of an invisible leprachaun, it is my responsibility to come up with valid reasons for you to believe my claim. If I cannot do this, you have no business believing my claim.