Revoking Confirmation
In The Catholic Church?
Stacie Barry

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism Magazine <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Stacie Barry
Subject: Re: Is there a way to revoke confirmation in the catholic church?
Date: Monday, September 13, 1999 4:28 PM

Madalyn Murray-O'Hair used to sell a de-baptism certificate for a small donation. They would send it to the church where you were baptized.

It is well known that churches -- most notoriously the Mormon church -- pad their membership roles. Most statisticians and pollsters know this, and count by church attendance. How many pews are filled week after week.

In Islamic countries, it is much tougher because you dare not come out of the closet about your atheism, although one Iranian correspondent estimates that at least 40 percent of Iranians are flat-out atheists.

There is another problem with trying to get your name off their records. This means you are fair game for missionary activity. I'm not sure if I still have James Call's account of his experience with the Mormons. If this is what your former church does, you will either need to take this into account in making your decision to withdraw, or you will simply need to buckle down and grit your teeth and stand fast.

A final problem, which is common only amongst Calvinistic Christian churches (Orthodox Presbyterian, Reformed, etc.) is that they do not recognize the concept of losing one's salvation. This leads some of them to refuse to remove you from their membership role unless you transfer to another church. I am still on the roll at a Calvinistic church in San Diego for this reason. though I haven't attended in almost twenty years.