Difference Between
Humanism And Atheism
[unsigned]

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Saturday, October 30, 1999 6:45 PM

Atheism is a minor component in any world view: nobody is just "an atheist" and nothing more. Everyone who is an atheist is an atheist plus many other things. Humanism is a very comprehensive world view, covering many specific ethical issues. Atheism happens to be one component of the more comprehensive Humanistic world view.

In the same sense, atheism pervades a variety of comprehensive world views, including Humanism. Nobody is just an atheist. Every atheist is an atheist among other things.

It is this ome minor component, atheism, which is the object of much bigotry and discrimination in America and elsewhere. Thus, we advocate for the rights and dignity of atheists of all stripes, atheists who suffer for the atheistic elements of their more comprehensive world view.

To give you a sense of the variety of views that contain atheism as an element (but obviously not to endorse any of these comprehensive world views):

Again, we advocate for the dignity and rights of those who suffer for their atheism. But at the same time, we advocate holding anybody -- atheist or theist -- accountable for any illegal or despicable acts.