Positive Atheism Misquotes
Bible? Yet Another Lie!
Veronique

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 4:37 AM

You are a liar of the worst kind!

(How can you live with yourself? And what would Jesus think -- if he existed?)

We highly recommend that when writing to a magazine to condemn that magazine for something it said, that you be sure to base your anathema upon what the magazine actually said.

Otherwise, your patent dishonesty is displayed for all to see, when we print your criticism and then compare what we actually said to what you accuse us of saying.

In this case, you accuse us of saying,

We never ever said or posted or printed a claim that "the Bible Actually says" this. Never and nowhere. In fact, until we posted your shining example of what kind of morality theism can inspire, the phrase "the Bible Actually says" has occurred nowhere on our entire website. You are a liar. Worse, you lie in accusing us of lying. Worst of all, you threaten us by saying that what we did was illegal (it isn't) -- but we never committed the act you accuse us of committing in the first place.

1. What is posted at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm#FIRSTSEC
is clearly marked as K. Budde's paraphrase of the second set of Ten Commandments, the second tablets of stone. Nowhere do we claim that "The Bible Actually says" this, only that it is Professor Budde's paraphrase.

2. What is posted at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/lewis/lewten03.htm#SECOND
was written by Joseph Lewis, not by us, and is clearly marked as such. Nevertheless, it likewise is introduced as K. Budde's paraphrase of the second set of Ten Commandments, the second tablets of stone. Lewis never said that "The Bible Actually says" this, only that it is Professor Budde's paraphrase -- this after Lewis had quoted verbatim the text of entire passage from the Authorized Version.

3. What we formatted onto the second page of the Acrobat file at
http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.pdf
is clearly marked with a footnote attributing the words to Professor K. Budde. Nowhere do we claim that "The Bible Actually says" this, only that it is the work of Professor K. Budde.

4. What we printed on page 6 of our July, 1999 (Volume I, Issue 7) magazine is clearly marked with a footnote attributing the words to Professor K. Budde. Nowhere do we claim that "The Bible Actually says" this, only that it is the work of Professor K. Budde.

These are the only occurrences of the phrase "All the first-born are mine" on our entire website and in the archives of our printed edition, spanning the entire history of Positive Atheism plus the entire history of my involvement with a magazine called Critical Thinker.

Thus, you have misquoted us by saying that we said, "The Bible Actually says... 4. All the first-born are mine."

Fortunately for you, you are wrong in saying that it is illegal to misquote someone. This is simply not true. Otherwise, you just might have had to spend some time in jail for your having misquoted us.

Unfortunately for you, however, you are right when you say it is morally wrong to misquote someone. Shame on you for misquoting us. Your misdeed reflects upon your position against us, and adds to the long list of lies that have been told by theists about our magazine and our website, and to the incomprehensibly vast amount of lies that have been told by theists against atheists.

But then again, thank you ever so much for providing us and our readers with yet another reason to distrust the message and motives of theists, and to be on guard when dealing with theists on matters regarding truthfulness. We realize that not all theists are as dishonest as you are, but nobody can say that theism is effective at inspiring or making people act morally. Thus, we should never trust the word of a theist simply because that person believes in God, but must use the same criteria to judge theist and atheist alike. Thank you very much for this important reminder.