The Group On SE Foster Road
[Portland, Oregon]
John

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Sunday, March 12, 2000 2:49 AM

I left that group for two reasons: (1) the current leadership pulled a vicious stunt against me which included deliberately tarnishing my good name (so one woman could gain political advantage within the group) and stealing over $200 from me; (2) I am trying to avoid (and I go out of my way to denounce) this group's favored style of atheistic activism, which is so fundamentalistic that it resembles (or is) bigotry (see the latest issue of their newsletter, "Critical Thinker," for many, many examples of what I see as blatant anti-theist bigotry). We atheists will get nowhere fast by continuing to act this way.

Since I left I have caught the leadership in several acts of dishonesty -- particularly, lying for the purpose of furthering the cause of atheism. It is for this behavior that I reserve my fiercest malediction.

You can read my documentation of the communications surrounding my departure from that group.

You can also read my view on fundamentalist atheists. It was a leader of the group on SE Foster Road that I used as my model for a fundamentalist atheist. The letter mentioned in the column is posted (with comments) in our Letters Section.

After this, I doubt I will ever join another local group again -- and in this case, will likely never again darken the doors of the group on Foster.
I do endorse the following:
     Freedom From Religion Foundation
     Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
     People For the American Way Foundation
     The American Civil Liberties Union
          and
     American Atheists
and in some cases support them financially.