May God Have Mercy
On Your Soles
Richard Celata Jr.

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Richard Celata Jr."
Subject: Re: PA-via_Q_and_A:_Walk_Equals_Talk
Date: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 5:43 PM

No.

We don't allege that a god wrote our morals in stone with his fingertip, but we do have morals which answer to the metaphorical description of being "set in stone."

Please stop lying about us. This is pure bigotry.

I am straight as an arrow, and I am the sole proprietor of Positive Atheism. There are no known symbols on our webpage. The rulebow.gif was made with a licensed copy of PaintShopPro, and it looks neat (better than the <HR> code that I formerly used).

Nevertheless, I have no argument with gays or lesbians: I wish them well and advocate that we all live in peace. This is a good thing because the neighborhood I live in is dominated by lesbians, most of the boys and girls I grew up with are now gays and lesbians, and almost all the bars I go to are either predominantly gay and lesbian or predominantly Asian or predominantly both.

If I were a bigot like yourself, I couldn't live with myself.

One moral that I have set in stone is not to be a bigot, not to lump individuals into a group and then to judge individuals based upon their affiliation with that group. Just because I go to a Chinese bar and am one of two whites in a crowded room doesn't make me Chinese or give me the any of the characteristics one would be tempted to associate with being Chinese.

If your religion allows you to act as if there is no right or wrong, then I condemn your religion as useless toward promoting morality.

I have already noted (elsewhere) that Hitler was a devout Christian, and that he used Bible verses and the writings of Martin Luther to justify his crimes against humanity and his crimes against the notion of the Christian god. By calling yourself a Christian and then defending Hitler's crimes, you commit the same crime against the notion of the Christian god that Hitler did.

Your behavior, sent to us as an example of Christian morality, makes me that much happier that I am an atheist, and gives me one fewer reason for becoming a Christian. However, I won't judge any other Christians based on your behavior. I judge you. I also condemn Christianity as a failure at making people moral because you are a Christian and you exhibit patently immoral behavior. Christianity is impotent toward making good people, and you are an example in this case against Christianity.

There isn't. I won't. Don't worry.

Why did you send it in the first place, if you knew, beforehand, that you would seek forgiveness for sending it? What kind of morality is that?

Are you saying that you can do whatever dispicable deed you wish, as long as you have an out with God in the form of forgiveness?

What ever happened to doing things because they are the right things to do, and refraining from doing things because they are the wrong things to do? Didn't your mother teach you anything? (Or don't you believe in your mother?)

For dignity's sake, please leave us out of your sick delusions.

[Joshua 24:15: "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."]

Some choice: either (1) serve primative volcano gods or (2) serve primative volcano gods or (3) serve primative volcano gods.

I choose to serve no gods.

I choose to serve no gods because I see no reason to believe that any gods exist.

I now have one more reason to believe that the Christian god is fable and falsehood: if he were real, I might see honorable behavior displayed in his followers. But I see your dispicable behavior, and this doesn't look very good for the claim that the Christian god both exists and can turn his followers into moral people. I'm still waiting for someone to convince me, either through reasoned argument or by showing me (such as proving to me that a particular god can and does make people moral).

Thank you for your kind sentiments. The bottoms of my feet have been ravaged by disease, and walking is difficult and often painful. I could use some help in that respect, but I doubt that your sentiments will help me, and I know that your god cannot help me. Nevertheless, your touchy-feely sentiments here are a refreshing break from the vitriol that is the rest of your letter to our magazine.