From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Andrew"
Subject: Re: Q - ridiculous bible quotes?
Date: Sunday, June 11, 2000 2:36 PM

I am glad to see the "Dear Dr. Laura" bit getting such wide distribution, and am not surprised to hear that it made the Dean Edell show. It showed up on Michael Shermer's "Skeptic" list, several humor lists, and even made the print edition of "Positive Atheism Magazine" last May! I used to be an avid listener before Dr. Edell's show was taken off our market. Now I must go to Dr. Edell's web page in order to listen via the Internet, and that's kind of a pain (no pun intended). I shouldn't whine, however, because at least we can listen to it at all!

Our National Bible Week Poster has several links (and you can print and distribute the poster -- being in Portland, I have some extras if you want them). One of the links is to my exhaustive Cliff's Big List of Bible Passages.

Other sources are the books, "The X-Rated Bible" and "The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy" -- both of which are excellent, though the "Encyclopedia" must be taken with salt, at times.

Clear Spacer, 8
Clear Spacer, 8

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: (suppressed)
Subject: Re: One for the Fundamentalists....
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 11:28 PM

This thing is great! I'm very glad it has become so popular: this is just the message we need to exhibit the sheer absurdity of the notion of so-called biblical morality. This piece says it all, lucidly, concisely, poetically, and with just the right touch of wry humor to ensure that it spreads widely as a meme (a self-replicating idea, such as a catchy song lyric, pronounced "meem").

We were probably the first print publication to carry this (though the one you sent is edited slightly from the original). I got it moments before I was scheduled to send the file to the printer, so I quickly deleted another item and squeaked it in. We received it in the e-mail within a day of our May issue being printed and mailed.

Days later, "Dear Dr. Laura" hit the big time, including most of the humor lists I subscribe to, Michael Shermer's Skeptics Society list, and finally the Dr. Dean Edell radio program. I'm sureit has since enjoyed larger audiences than even Dr. Edell, and I promise you that it has completely saturated the gay and lesbian subcultures by now. There is even a sequel, though it is much more of a "one-trick pony" than the original. Both now live on our website.

Last month, when the Modesto (California) Bee did a large feature on "Positive Atheism" magazine in their religion section, they pulled the Dr. Laura bit from our website and used it as a sidebar. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect circle of completion or a more perfect piece than "Dear Dr. Laura" to express our views on the myth that the Bible has anything good to say about morality.

The anonymous piece immediately reminded me of Thomas Paine's anonymous pamphlet series, "Common Sense," which took off so wildly that within seven months the American Colonies had declared the Revolutionary War. "Dear Dr. Laura" has taken off just as wildly, and it cannot have received the publicity it has without causing more than a few to start questioning the notion of biblical morality. We can only hope that the real message behind "Dear Dr. Laura" sinks in to the public mind set, but this anonymous author rightly earns hero status in our book.