From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Richard P Celata Jr"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index on the fence
Date: Sunday, June 11, 2000 3:24 PM

I don't see anything in this about Christianity. Washington was probably a Deist at best, and was probably a Mason (my grandfather was a 32nd-degree Mason and was an atheist). One can be a moralist and not be a Christian (I am not a Christian and I advocate having very strong personal morals). One can also advocate the benefits of religion without being a Christian (and without even having Christianity in mind -- as Deism was the religion of choice among Washington's friends and colleagues).

Have you checked out our page on Washington? Although Washington advocated religion as good for the masses, he did not practice what he preached, and was publicly chastised for always ducking out of church right before Communion was served. After this public display, he stopped attending services (with his wife, at his wife's church) altogether on Communion Sunday. Washington was strangely silent on his personal religious views though he heartily recommended religion as being good for the masses.

Please explain to me how you come to suspect that Washington was a Christian based upon this passage, and how anyone can come to think that America is a Christian nation based upon the writings of its founding members. I always thought it was the Constitution that is the definition of what this country is.