'What Would Any Jesus Do?'
(April, 2000, Column)
Mike

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "m.t.bee"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Saturday, May 20, 2000 11:50 PM

I am, as Robert M. Price puts it in his new book "Deconstructing Jesus," a "Jesus Agnostic." For the past ten years, though, I have liked the "Jesus" described by Maccoby in "Revolution in Judaea." Maccoby's "Jesus" is, by far, the most dignified "Jesus" I have encountered.

In his book, Price shows that the beginning of Christianity is not as the Parable of the Wheat and Tares suggests: one pure doctrine set down at one time, into which the tares of heresy were later sown. Instead, he describes a garden with hundreds of different flowers, wherein one vine grew and suffocated the rest.

He shows that the Jesus that we know today can easily and rightly be seen as a militant Jewish loyalist, a healer, a teacher, a charlatan, and others. Marcion, who first assembled the Epistles of Saint Paul, held doctrines from which almost all modern Christians would recoil.

Whoever Jesus was or was not, we cannot know today, says Price. This is the first book that expounds upon how I have felt for a long time.

Prometheus has already granted permission for us to reprint several sections of this wonderful book, which we will do, perhaps, in June or July. For now, though, because I have been struggling to get a new business off the ground and because I have finally met a woman with whom I would like to spend the rest of my life, I am almost a month behind in publishing PA and almost three months behind in posting letters. I hope to catch up within the next few months. Meanwhile, I will continue to relax and