From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Subject: Re: Re: Ant and the contact lens
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2000 1:10 PM

What a miracle! This is proof positive: There simply must be a god! (Never mind all those poor schmucks who starved to death in Ethiopia during the time it took for them to walk down the mountain!)

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2000 3:28 PM

I guess even an all-knowing, all-powerful god does things (like creating Ethiopians) that he later repents of having done (Gen. 6:6).

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2000 4:46 PM

What a guy! What a guy!

Glad he cannot possibly exist!

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2000 6:13 PM

The volcano god. Glad he cannot possibly exist. Glad the universe is essentially pointless, and that all meaning is found within the minds of the beholders.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Saturday, June 17, 2000 7:51 PM

Human reason. How else does anybody come up with any conclusions?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Sunday, June 18, 2000 3:18 AM

Like I said, human reason, which is the basis for the scientific method, which takes for granted that we are fallible and can't know everything. The scientific method is a community discussion in which the participants agree to abandon any theory which can be proven false or logically impossible. Also, we don't have to go along with a proposition unless and until its proponents come up with sufficient evidence. It all rests upon human reason, though.

Reason, through logic, tells me that an all-knowing, all-powerful entity would not do something which he would later repent of doing. Historical evidence tells me that the Biblical tales give every indication of being tribal myths told by flea-bitten goat-herders around a campfire of camel dung. Particularly telling is the fact that the god of the earlier myths is a little guy (who is one among many competing tribal totems) and is capable of making mistakes, and the god of the later myths is the so-called One True God who is all-powerful and all-knowing and would never make a mistake, but has had it all planned out from the foundation of the earth.

These myths were the exclusive property of the priestly class until long after they had been established as the law of the land, and they were not open to public scrutiny (according to scientific method) until a few hundred years ago. We have guys like Wycliff and King James I to thank for bringing the "Scriptures" to the common man, and making them available for public scrutiny (according to scientific method). By then, though, it was too late to edit out the inconsistencies that such scrutiny brought to light (although the "New International Version" of the American Evangelical movements and the "New World Translation" of the Jehovah's Witnesses have given it the old college try).

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Sunday, June 18, 2000 11:51 AM

What else is there to apply to such a concept? What else besides human reason do we have to determine whether a claim is worth considering?

I mean, aren't you applying your own reason in deciding whether to adhere to the Bible?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Sunday, June 18, 2000 8:59 PM

I'm not sure I even understand what faith is, or how it would differ from what I do.

Is it magical or something?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: [suppressed]
Date: Monday, June 19, 2000 3:14 AM

Then how is it proper that I should be held accountable for "knowing" what I cannot know? (John 15:6, etc.)

How, then can we know this? Why does all this so closely resemble everything that is obviously the work and words of so many hucksters and charlatans?

I mean, if you had genuine supernatural powers, would you show them off by pulling rabbits out of a hat?

This all sounds so convenient, but I'm not a man of convenience. I work for all the answers I get and I expect no free lunch. This is only right, and this only is right.