From: Positive Atheism
Sent: Monday 16 August 1999 5:01
To: Positive Atheism List
Subject: Question: Coping as an atheist in the (un)real world

We got the following question (below) about coping as an atheist.

We are also developing our Frequently Asked Questions section and want you to send us questions that you've been asked (and provide answers, if you know them -- if not, we'll do our best at addressing them).

To: Positive Atheism
Subject: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:44:08 EDT

I put up with constant references to church, ministers sabbaticals, religious outings, and more in the workplace. I nod, I smile, I never get into "religious" discussions or demean their constant jabber. As a -- well, I don't know, an agnostic -- an atheist. I'm not sure what I am -- simply a non believer in this supernatural god. Any assistance on "coping" with this constant tirade? Or, perhaps a listing of agnostic/atheist groups in my area that I could relate with? Is there such a thing?

Graphic Rule

Cliff's response:

You can go ahead and call yourself an atheist if you lack a god-belief. This is a legitimate definition for the word.

Coming out of the closet is the first move you should make if you don't care about losing some friends (who were probably not true friends in the first place). Any true friend will stick by you despite your differences.

Your next move is to demand dignity as an atheist any time you think you are being slighted or slandered for your stand.

You can learn a lot about atheism on our web site. I would first check out our Articles, Atheism and Awareness, Editorials section (this list comes up by default when you click the "Articles" button). Also, Cliff's monthly column has covered all these topics. Note the editorial called "Getting Along Outside the Oasis."

Finally, you can find atheists and organizations in your area at the Freethought Contacts Page and in the Freethought Directory.