From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2000 6:08 PM

I learned my Bible from reading it -- not from listening to preachers take it out of context by emphasizing some portions while suppressing or explaining away the rest. I am convinced that anyone will quickly become an atheist if they only read the Bible as a book, cover to cover, without the influence of a preacher -- who (inevitably) has an agenda of some sort.

You tell me that "God created the heavens and the earth, and you." How can I know this to be a fact? How can I know for certain that a "God" exists and that this being created the heavens (isn't there only one?) and the earth? How can I know that you are telling the truth and that others who tell me differently are not telling the truth?

You also tell me that "he loved you so much he sent his only Son Jesus Christ to die for you." First, make a case for me that a Jesus Christ even existed in history. No fair only using the Bible unless you can make a solid case that it is trustworthy. Secondly, demonstrate to me that Jesus Christ is God's only Son (your caps) and that all the others saviors (especially during the times of the Roman Empire) who claimed to be sons or daughters of the gods were not telling the truth. Next, after demonstrating the historicity of Jesus Christ, prove to me that the meaning of his death is what you tell me it is. Finally, after all these things, show me what it means for someone to die for me. I mean, come on! What is that supposed to mean?

And stay away from the 700 Club. Even as Christianity goes, Robertson's stuff is bad for you. Talk about a preacher with an agenda! No wonder you think my views are "twisted": anybody who disagrees with Robertson is "twisted" in his eyes!