From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ross"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Sunday, July 02, 2000 9:42 PM

... or the SPAMming complaints it can generate! Make sure your time is paid up on your server and you already have another one lined up before you click "Forward To All" on stuff like this!

Interesting -- when the analogy is with a $20 bill!

I am now listening to some compilations from House of Blues records, as I prepare for a night of karaoke. If I keep this stuff going 'round in the background while I work, it works its way into my singing style. I love the blues. I have the range and style of about Joe Cocker or Neil Diamond or Robert Lamm of Chicago. While I don't have quite the range of David Clayton Thomas (of Blood Sweat and Tears) in some of his other material, I can pull off "And When I Die" without a hitch, and with similar smoothness. I do, however, adjust the words to be considerably less agnostic: "I swear there ain't no heaven / I don't pray there ain't no hell" and "Ain't gonna go by devil / Ain't gonna go by Satan / Ain't gonna go by demon / Don't wanna die uneasy / Just let me go naturally."

Most of what I own is late-60s and early-70s blues-powered rock, mainly the white, middle-class blues-rock from England and the West Coast. I only recently got into southern-fried rock, such as the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd. If you saw my collection, you would see that it is quite varied, and that it does have a solid sample of the classics as well as much that you've probably never heard of before (unless you've been a disc jockey or a used-record buyer for several decades). There has always been a big spot in my heart for the dark, poetic stuff like Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, and Peter Hammill.

The telephone company technician was over here not too long ago, and while waiting for a call-back from the super he spent some time sizing up my collection. I suddenly realized out loud that all the stuff I've ever liked tends toward the counter-culture. I also like it dark, one of my favorite current pieces being Tom Waits's "What's He Building?" I can't tell who gives me the creeps more, the guy the protagonist is talking about in the piece -- or the meddling protagonist himself! "I'll tell you one thing / He's not building a playhouse for the children." I also love that line from "Ninth and Hanipin": "Such a crumbling beauty / Ah, there ain't nothin' wrong with her / A hundred dollars wouldn't fix."

I've never had any use for smarmy love songs. Maybe that's why I don't get laid as often as the guys who like the commercial hits. Or meybe they're lying about their success rates. Either way, no big loss, though; I can't stand to be around what Zappa called "Plastic People / Oh, baby / No you gotta go" (to the tune of "Louie Louie").