A Brilliant Exposure Of
The Stupidity Of Religion
Manuel J. Chavez

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Manuel Chavez"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 11:34 AM

Though we agree that many manifestations of religion are monumentally stupid, we are not out to de-convert anyone. We only wish to protect our right to be free from government entanglement with religion, and to preserve our dignity as atheists. Many atheists think this is best done by exposing religion's follies with a Voltairian belly-laugh, but we are hoping to find a better way.

Nevertheless, two manifestations of government entanglement in America warrant swift action of the Voltairian variety: National Bible Week and the move to publicly post abridged readings of the Protestant version of the First Stone Tablets edition of the Jewish Ten Commandments. We think that if the problems with the Ten Commandments and the problems with the Bible are made known, these movements might eventually fail to gain the wide support they enjoy today.

Currently, less-religious Americans tend to give lip service to the Bible and the Ten Commandments simply because they are ignorant of the problems. The fundamentalists, of course, are simply being loyalistic about it, and would do almost anything to see their own narrow expression of religion become the law of the land.

Thus, everyone has blanket permission to print and distribute our "Which Ten Commandments?" leaflet and our "National Bible Week" poster as long as these remain fully intact.

Anything else from the website must be dealt with on an individual basis: tell us what you would like to reprint and why, and we're pretty easy to deal with. The only exception is when we don't own the copyright to the material in question.

If you do see an argument or point on our website that you think might do some good if printed up and distributed, please tell us: we are very skilled at typesetting, and would be glad to make more PDF files available for others to print and distribute.