Stenger And A Possible
Creationist Retort
Tyler McMillen

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Tyler McMillen"
Subject: Re: A Possible Creationist Retort
Date: Saturday, July 15, 2000 5:17 AM

Again: You cannot prove a negative existential claim. If I state "No gods exist," I cannot prove it. The best I can say is that I have no compelling reason to think that a god exists. None of the god claims hold water with me -- including the claim that the existence of the universe leads to the conclusion that a god exists.

All the Inflationary Big Bang model shows is that no god was necessary to start this universe, that its existence (since its inception) can be explained as the result of natural processes.

The possibility of a super-universe is just that: a possibility. Perhaps this will eventually be shown as likely or unlikely -- but for now, there is nothing known in physics to rule out this as a possibility. Even if it is shown as likely, those making the claim that a god created it are in the same boat of having to prove this claim. We who don't claim that a god created it have nothing to prove.

If we continue to seek natural explanations for phenomenon, and if a god happened to be part of that picture, I'd think we'd easily come to that conclusion in such a way that even the most die-hard skeptic would see it. For a fuller description of this (theistic) idea, see my editorial "And The Scientists, Too."

Even though a theist said this, I fully agree with it: Why on earth would a god so thoroughly hide Himself from those who seek Him that those who seek to understand our reality will, in so doing, completely miss something like the existence of a god? Why must we infer or have "faith" or "feel a presence" in order to detect the existence of a god? (And why must we be satisfied with such "proofs" in lieu of some cold hard evidence?) Is it not easier (and more honest) simply to state that I have no reason to believe that a god exists?