Let's Meet In The Park:
I Believe In Squirrels!
Ken Hark

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ken Hark"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Monday, July 24, 2000 5:48 PM

Sure! Fire away!

The only times I fail to correct the grammar is when the writer is arrogant or when the writer claims to have had a formal education but you couldn't tell from the writing such as when the writer is making sophisticated scientific claims. Occasionally I leave the grammar the way it is because it's not that bad (that is, it's readable) and occasionally I leave it as it is (even though it's barely readable) simply because it comes off better (such as a letter from somebody overseas who does not speak English very well). I have been correcting more grammar than I once did, and usually correct the spelling if I'm not too lazy.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ken Hark"
Subject: Re: Lets meet. WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 3:35 PM

I like your idea about parks and squirrels and blue T-shirts. It reminds me of the story of some freethinking students, mostly Irish-American, who resented the rule requiring church attendance once a week. (This was 1957.) One of them got ordained by the Universal Life Church (who will ordain anybody) and they formed the Reformed Druids of North America. As a protest (and as a joke) they announced that they were Druids and that groves were their churches, wherein they repaired to these wooded sanctuaries to drink Irish Mist and exchange Gaelic lessons (and, I hear, occasionally get naked and paint themselves blue). Maybe your park idea would inspire more atheists to get together and (perhaps) even laugh about what is really a scary situation.

If you would read the last sections of the Meeks Family file you will note that the Meeks's are happy members of the Corvallis Secular Society and Eugene Atheists & Freethinkers. This is the usual way to meet with fellow atheists for the purpose of meeting with fellow atheists. (I, for one, don't care what someone's religious belief is, and never use that to judge who I will hang with -- so I really have no need for atheist groups.) If you want to meet the Meeks, you might want to contact the Corvallis Secular Society or the Eugene Atheists and Freethinkers.

Eugene Group's Contact:

Corvallis Group's Contact:

Heidi Monson
PO Box 3631