Comfort In Incongruity,
Freedom In Illogic
Charles Miller

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Charles Miller"
Subject: Re: opinion
Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 10:52 AM

I sometimes imagine that certain people have a passion for escaping similar in intensity to the passion I have for facing and confronting and wondering. I cannot imagine being like them, and am willing to admit that they could not imagine being like me. This is why I've always erred on the side of tolerance, and have strived for full-boat acceptance whenever possible.

Thomas Paine made a good case that tolerance, while better than what we today call bigotry, is not good enough. Tolerance, he says, still assumes that "we" are right and "they" are wrong, and then proceeds to let "them" thrive despite the "fact" that "they" are wrong. Your letter displays a fine grasp of what Paine would have called acceptance, compared to which tolerance is inadequate.