Thermodynamics, Entropy,
and Creationism
Kelly Jowett, WSU Chemistry

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Kelly Jowett"
Subject: Re: I just had a thought.
Date: Thursday, August 03, 2000 2:47 PM

In my interview with particle physicist Victor Stenger he pointed out that the entroy argument became outdated about 100 years ago, when we discovered that the universe is expanding:

This actually was a legitimate question a hundred years ago, when we thought that the Universe was a firmament, but now we know that the Universe is expanding. An expanding universe leaves increasingly more space for order to form.

An example I like to give on this, is, suppose that you have a very small yard, and every day you take your rubbish and you dump the rubbish into the yard. Eventually it's going to cover up those petunias that you plotted over there your garden, and your yard is going to become very disordered. How can you, then, get some more petunias growing? Well, what you can do is buy the land around your yard. Then you have more space and you can plant some petunias. As time goes on, of course, you keep dumping the rubbish and it fill up the space, you've got to keep buying more and more land. But, in principle, you can do it that way; you can always have some space left over. As long as the Universe continue to expand, in other words, there's always room for more order to form.

In the section I linked above, Stenger discusses arguments based upon both laws of thermodynamics.