Positive Atheism Forum: Why Are There No Atheist Charities? with Christi Habrock

June 18, 1999

This letter raises questions which may not be as challenging as they are common misnomers. Please respond to it and I will forward all the initial responses to the writer and post them in the Forum section.

Transparent Spacer
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule

Hello,

I have a question. I’m hoping you will help me with this. I attend a Methodist Church in Oklahoma. Recently an article and picture entitled “The face of Atheism in Oklahoma” was on the front page of the Daily Oklahoman this week. The pastor of the church wrote about this subject in our weekly newsletter.

One of the things he asked — I quote — “Look around and see if you see any caring, supportive, atheist sponsored groups. I do see countless, Christian Groups: Churches, hospitals, nursing homes, Boy’s Rance, Salvation Army, Good Will industries, Skyline Urban Ministries, Cookson Center, Feed the Children, Hope Center, Compassionate Hands, Fracis Willard Home for girls, United Methodist Children’s homes, Home for Unwed Mothers, and countless other mission groups serving the need of people. God inspires good in his people.”

So I asked myself, Do I see anything of this nature? No, I don’t. But then again, is atheism a religion? Or is just a choice, that families grow up with, Such as my religion is? And if it is just a choice, are there any supportive atheist sponsored groups?

I feel everyone has the right to practice freedom of religion. They also have the right to believe in what they want. But I would like to point out to my pastor your supportive sponsored groups. Would you be willing to send me a list of these groups? I would print them, and show to him. Just because some have chosen a different way of life, or belief. That they do make a difference in this world.

Christi Habrock

Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Table Graphic Rule
Transparent Spacer

Although I normally take a crack at these questions, I’m going to pass on this one, having addressed it several times in the Forum (for example, see my rather terse discussion in “Let’s Go To The Atheist Page Just For Laughs” with Rich Zawadzki). Besides, I’d just as soon hear what you have to say about it. Whatever your response, all we ask is that you provide us with strong reasons to go along with your opinion.

Cliff Walker
“Positive Atheism” Magazine

Graphic Rule

From: “Monica Harris”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: Re: Question: “No caring atheist groups”?
Date: Saturday, June 19, 1999 9:36 AM

Just because an atheist does not believe in “God” does not indicate that they do not have a commitment to the well being of other people. In fact, the atheistic perspective indicates a strong affirmation of humanity, without passing the buck of responsibility to the intangible concept of a Deity.

The atheistic people I know are educators and healers, artists and social activists and scientists who develop new systems that benefit people, both atheists and religious afficionados. They are, if anything, more firmly invested in benefitting humanity as a whole than the religious folks I know who are selective about who benefits from their efforts, preferring members of their own group or prospective “converts,” and shunning the “disbelievers.”

The misconception about atheists, that they are “against God” and all that this stands for, here extrapolated to assume they are against people and do no good works to benefit others, is just more of the same propaganda against anyone who stands out against a System that is structured to keep the little cogs in line, grinding out money for The Big Machine. And there’s no better way to accomplish this than through organized religion.

Monica A. Harris

Graphic Rule

From: Bob Thompson
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: No caring Atheist groups
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:04:25 -0700

The question posed by Christi is an interesting twist on whether Atheists are as caring as Christians and I would hope that the Methodist pastor who used this proposition is fair-minded enough to similarly ask how many atrocities in the world are attributed to Christians or Atheists. But that is an old argument.

You needn’t be in a group to make you a caring person. But if groups are important as an indicator towards charity, you will find many Atheists in service clubs such as Lions and Rotary. In fact a part of their charter is for members to avoid sectarian interests and just concentrate on doing good. There are other organizations such as Meals on Wheels, drug support groups, etc. that abound with Atheist serving their communities.

Indeed it is a shame that a man of the church wishes to divide caring people into categories rather than trying to unite them. But that’s his job.

Cheers,
Bob Thompson
Bribie Island, Australia

Graphic Rule

From: [unsigned]

I would say that religion and caring groups are separate entities. There are religious folks who are involved in caring groups and there are atheists that are involved in caring groups. It is the person who does the caring, and that person who cares hopefully cares in a genuine fashion and not because he is brainwashed or guilt-ridden into it by a religious affiliation. Caring and caring groups should have no bearing on the religion of either the caregivers nor the cared for. How about that American concept of non-discrimination based on race, religion blah blah? How caring are those religious groups who turn their back on those in need of another affiliation, or those in need who have no affiliation? In fact, atheists care as humans for other humans who are being misled, misdirected, misinformed and misused by their money generating control freak religious leaders.

Graphic Rule

From: “Lynne”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: FORUM: Why Are There No Atheist Charities?
Date: Friday, July 06, 2001 6:57 PM

Oh, but there are! We must remember though, that atheism as we know it is fairly modern AND we are still a small minority in most areas so we don’t have the numbers of people and therefore also not the funds that Christian groups have for such activities. Here is my list:

Atheist Centre of India
The Atheist Centre was founded in 1940 by the Gora family, who were associated with Ghandi and the nationalist movement for freedom. They provide counseling, are fighting against the caste system and for the abolition of child marriages, helping ex-prostitutes, and protecting widows from inhumane customs. They also dispell superstitions by scientific demonstrations, and are asked to calm witchcraft hysterias. They provide sex education and family planning, are carrying on a rural development program, and have a center for free cornea grafting operations which is giving sight to the blind.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/tocindia.htm

Atheist Charity
This is a new, small charity run by atheist volunteers. They currently give money to other charities for the poor, are involved in forming a non-discriminatory alternative to the Boy Scouts, and later will start natural disaster relief projects.
http://www.atheistcharity.org

EARTHWARD, Inc.
Earth’s Atheist Resistance To Holy Wars And Religious Devastation gives humanitarian aid to victims of religiously motivated violence. I’m chair and co-founder.
http://earthward.net

Humanitas
Dutch organization for social care an community development, based upon humanistic principles with projects in the fields of child-care, elderly homes, support for the homeless, care for the disabled, visiting and empowering the lonely, and grief counseling.
http://www.humanitas.nl

Humanist Institute for Cooperation with Developing Countries
Hivos is an organisation working to promote: democracy; economic development; cultural development; human rights, including equal rights for women, in the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin-America and South-east Europe. It also combats poverty and the spread of AIDS in those areas.
http://www.hivos.nl/

Furthermore, humanist organizations such as the International Humanist and Ethical Union at
http://www.hivos.nl/
have been cooperating with the U.N. in promoting global human rights and social progress. Several people named Humanists of the Year by the AHA (American Humanist Association) at
http://www.humanist.net
have been leaders in the U.N. and/or helped draft human rights documents.

Considering our small numbers and the fact that atheism has not had 2,000 years to get organized, I don’t think we are doing too badly.

— Lynne (aka Godlessheathen)

EARTHWARD, Inc. (Earth’s Atheist Resistance To Holy Wars And Religious Devastation)
http://earthward.net
Want the National Atheist Ombuds to publicize your complaint?
http://ombudsman.secular.ws
Current Status of America’s Wall of Church-State Separation
http://www.infidels.org/activist/state
The Godlessheathen Home Page
http://www.atheism.org/~godlessheathen

Graphic Rule

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: Re Way are there no atheist charities?
Date: Sunday, July 08, 2001 1:57 AM

Wow, Very good question. It seems as if everyone is dodging it though, so I will attempt a short and direct answer in two parts.

1. If you’re looking for the Young Atheist Children’s Hospital, your not going to find it. The answer why is simple. It can be found by observing the trials an Atheist has to endure once he comes out of the closet to his Christian friends.

With all due respect to the gay folks, it’s a bit like what they go through. No good Christian (or very few anyway) will send their kids to Atheist daycare. Same with a Muslim or a Jew. Look how they’re leaving the public schools in droves saying it has no religious requirements. Any charity known to be supported by Atheists would be shunned and other donations would cease to come in.

2. Atheist charities are hidden from view. Each person I know that is an atheist gives heavily to charities. They make no distinction between religious or non-religious. They simply give. It comes from the heart not through the churches “suggestion”. To me this is the far more noble ideal.

Tell me, can you distinguish a “Christian donation” from an “Atheist donation”? The people I know that do this give far more than the Christians I know and do it in an anonymous fashion. The way I feel it should be done. Selfless and unknown.

Graphic Rule

From: “Duval Cellai”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 2:07 AM

There are at least three charitable groups that were founded by Atheists and they are still operating as of now or have been turned over to non-religionist persons and are still growing. The works are more important than taking credit for the works and many that work as well as volunteer donot even know. That is the way it should be rather than to beg in the name of some made up deity.

Short Graphic Rule

From: “Galen Malick”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: September 12, 2001 7:27 PM

It is not realistic to expect to see any major atheist charities any time soon. Atheism is not popular enough. I think it is a shame that churches incorporate religion into charity at all.

Personally, I prefer to donate time rather than money. It often gives me a direct connection to the people who are in need. I recently donated my time at a charity-sponsored construction site. There was no mention of any church sponsorship when I signed up, but when I got there, the crew insisted on a group prayer. Once that prayer was uttered, my direct connection to the people in need was broken. Whether I joined in the prayer or not, the mood was set that I was now an agent of the church. Why does it need to be that way?

My experience has left me wary of donating to any large organization. How can I be sure that my money is going to help people with no strings attached?

Graphic Rule

From: “Charlene Dryer”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: Atheist Charities (Forum)
Date: August 29, 2001 5:18 PM

Dear Cliff and readers:

Although this is not timely, it is something I and others have been working on so I would like to respond to Christi Habrock’s question from 1999 RE: “Why are there no atheist charities?”

First, I first would state that the question should be “Why are there religious charities?”

My suggestion is that the primary reason most religious charities (like most religious anything) exist is to propagate their particular religion. I believe that a secondary reason they exist is as monuments to themselves and to convince others of their good ness and rightness. They do not exist to relieve or alleviate any suffering of any needy person unless that needy person accepts their particular belief.

If not for the fact that the running of their charities advertises and proselytizes their particular religion or sect, these organizations would cease to exist. Please note the recent articles in the newspaper to the effect that religious charity organizers are complaining bitterly about and trying to eliminate restrictions that prevent them from proselytizing and advertising their religious affiliation through the posting of slogans, etc. on the walls. E.g., they refuse to run their charities as secular (non-religious) organizations even if paid to do it with tax money!

I am working in this field and have documented many case histories of homeless, hungry, abused people being denied services by religious “charities” for refusing to thank gawd for receiving their food, shelter, counseling(?), clothing, or whatever the need happened to be.

From just this representative smattering of case studies, I believe there are hundreds if not thousands who have swallowed the lump in their throat and prayed, mouthed acceptance of the ludicrous proposition that an invisible gawd was somehow responsible for the appearance of the food, shelter, clothing etc. given to the victim, uh, I mean recipient.

I have also discovered that some of the most disgusting abuses have come from the religious charities (which I will not name in this post) that have already been receiving federal taxpayer funding for years.

So my first point is that most religious charities do not exist to benefit the recipients of their service, but rather exist to find a captive audience of victims to whom they may proselytize ad nauseum who must make a choice between accepting the much needed service and sacrificing the integrity of their beliefs.

Atheists, freethinkers, and humanists have no such ulterior motives to promote or establish charities. Atheists, freethinkers, and humanists are not selfishly motivated to work for their position in an afterlife by pushing others to believe as they do. Atheists, freethinkers, and humanists do not and have historically used their positions to force others to believe as they do.

Therefore, my second point would be that if an atheist, freethought, or humanist charity would currently exist as such, it is more likely than not that no one would ever know. As a rule, atheists have not advertised themselves or worn badges or banners to proclaim their beliefs.

If all charities are either “religious” or “atheist” I believe that many atheist charities already exist today. The meaning of atheism is the lack of a belief in a god or gods. Any charity that exists independent of a requirement that its participants and recipients of services have a belief or profess a belief in a god or gods would be by definition an “atheist” charity. We traditionally call them “secular” charities, and there are plenty of them here in California.

Here in California we have a couple of shelters, at least one food bank, and two or three places that provide clothing to people who are being released from jail or coming out of recovery from alcohol or drug addiction that do not require a profession of religion, acceptance of religion, or thanking of gawd for receiving services.

Atheists (as well as freethinkers and humanists) as a whole are just basically not obvious, obnoxious, “up in your face” types of people. Although this is one of the qualities I like the most about these groups, I believe that given the current agenda of the Religious Right, all atheists, freethinkers, and humanists must unite to change this.

I am currently working with others who believe as I do to activly start and promote “Atheist Charities” openly identified as such. This is not for the purpose of atheists pushing their non-belief on another person as a condition of accepting a benefit, but to cure the ignorance and misconception of millions of people like Christi Habrock who believe that there are no caring, support ive, compassionate atheist organizations.

In conclusion, I would like to leave readers with another question. How “compassionate and caring” is a “charitable” organization which purports to provide shelter for the homeless that would throw a man in a wheelchair out into the rain for refusing to attend religious services as an example to the other 50 or 60 men staying there? This is a documented incident from a well known national religious “charity” that has been receiving taxpayer funds for many years!

Graphic Rule

From: “Oshansky, Lisa C.”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: October 17, 2001 4:34 PM

First, let’s not confuse true generosity with the concept of religious “indulgence”(for lack of a better term). Many people will donate great amounts of money so that they appear benevolent and generous. Some feel that donating a lot of money will buy them a place in heaven.

Second, it is so much easier to give donations of money and expect others take action, than to actually go out and take action yourself. Also I have read “accounts” which may or may not be true of millions of dollars donated to Mother Theresa’s charity. This money is apparently sitting in Mother’s accounts rather than going to the very cause she championed. Now, as a skeptic, I know not to believe everything I read, but it certainly merits investigation into whether or not donated money actually goes to the cause for which it was intended or just lines the pockets of larger entities.

Third, let us not forget the astounding contributions made to humanity by nonbelievers, often at the risk of their own lives. Alone and with the majority against them, they forged ahead to make this world better for all of us (believers included). The contributions are too numerous to mention. I’d like to see the list of contributions which religious leaders and fundamentalists have made to the long-term betterment of humanity (as opposed to the promotion of a specific religious dogma). This would be a very short list, I think.

As atheists we will be looked down upon and reviled because we don’t “follow the fold.” We buck the system. We should thank those before us who were so brave; we should live by their example.

Lisa Oshansky

Graphic Rule
Added: March 9, 2002

From: [unsigned]
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: January 11, 2002 10:00 AM

Churches asking where are the non-theists’ charities? This is a meaningless question, a semantic trick, a red herring, a blind alley we should not be drawn into.

There are various musicians’ association charities; why no Non-Musicians’ Charity? There are many black charities; why no Non-Black Charity? There’s a Gardener’s Scholarship Fund; why no Non-Gardeners’ Fund?

People don’t tend to form groups based on their non-ness. Non-theists, along with non-musicians, non-blacks, non-gardeners, contribute as individuals according to their interests, skills, and philosophies.

Who’s going to add up nontheist blood and dollars donated after 9/11? It would dwarf many religious groups. My Humanist family took a huge cut in income for three years so I could devote myself fully to a critical volunteer need. Ted Turner’s rational humanism caused him to donate millions to Afghan women’s reproductive care after 9/11 (Afghanistan has highest fertility rate in Asia, triggering much of the suffering).

I see no way nontheists can ever get “credited” for our tremendous good works as a body; most of it will have to come as individuals. What we CAN do is publicly praise nontheist heroes of many causes, as AHA does. Next time you see a letter bashing Turner, write one in praise. And you silent heroes out there, don’t sit around waiting for someone to praise you. Set aside some humility for a greater good and let others know of your work. Mention how your particular nontheistic philosophy inspired you. Get a friend to call your local reporter for a profile, or nominate you for a community award. That doesn’t come natural to many of us, but it’s needed.

There is danger in coming out of the closet, which could restrict our good works. My charitable work would have been less effective if my nontheism were widely known. But now that I’m more established, I’m increasingly open. Some risk is worth the long-term good (though I’m still too fearful to give my name here. Give me time.).

Graphic Rule

From: “Jonathan Laman”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:59 AM

Dear Christi Habrock,

Why is 95 percent of the earth’s population delusional when it comes to the belief in the existence of the supernatural. Why does everyone feel so righteous when they are somehow connected to the thought of a god. I’m not waging a war with Christianity but apparently but those of us who don’t get up every Sunday morning and dress up for God have something very wrong with us. Why is it that a man who thinks he can talk to his dead grandmother sure to be committed to a mental hospital, but a person who leads an entire group in a prayer to the ceiling (to what they all think is a dead man) is revered as a man of character and wisdom.

The very simple reason why atheists don’t have “absence of god” charity groups is the same reason that there are not “absence of magical elves” charity groups. It is simply not a group-forming belief. I don’t form relationships on the basis that there isn’t a god. Of course this is the opposite with Christians. Whenever I mention my belief around a Christian they are generally disgusted by me and for some reason looked down upon. What is the deal with that? I’m not the one who is delusional!

I personally, being an atheist, am one of the most caring and generous people you will ever meet and I exemplify this in the relationships that I form and the way I conduct myself in my everyday life. I simply do not find the belief in a god to be necessary to still have compassion for those in need.

Jonathan Laman
Memphis, TN

Graphic Rule

From: [unsigned]
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: Friday, March 02, 2001 5:50 PM

I my self give to many charities, but they are Christian. So I as an atheist will not get counted.

Graphic Rule

From: “Mark R. Hatlie”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: Thursday, July 12, 2001 2:00 PM

I would like to add one more point that has not been mentioned so far.

There are few if any explicitly atheist charities. But any and all charities that are not explicitly associated with religion could be considered atheist. They do not accredit their works to a religion or to a god. They are essentially “godless” (“a-theist”).

So any non-sectarian child-care institution, nursery school, clinic, hospital, soup kitchen, foundation, environmental organization etc., is “atheist”. Such organizations either do not see the need to emphasize that fact (a negation not being the center of what they are about), or, sometimes they might fear the often-mentioned stigma that would come if they used the “A-word”.

Going further, one could even argue that some of the biggest charities around — government programs — are “atheist”, despite the fact that the membership and the financial backers correspond to the religious majority in the country: These public charities include the HUD, Social Security, the U.S. Military, in many situations, the Environmental Protection Agency, the FDA etc. Even municipally run hospitals, nursing homes, children’s shelters, and the like are “godless”, but they all do good “works”. The “religionlessness” of the situation is changing, but for the time being, these institutions are godless qua institutions.

M. Hatlie

Graphic Rule

From: “Jeff”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: Thursday, July 12, 2001 2:08 PM

Re the Oklahoma Methodist minister and others asserting the same canard:

If he would prefer, I’ll start checking religious affiliations before spending my atheistic, charitable dollar. Hmmm! Now I ponder it! I wonder if these sanctimoniously overendowed theists would be willing to refuse my dollar?

jw

Graphic Rule

From: “O’Toole, Brian”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: RE: Why Are There No Atheist Charities?
Date: February 27, 2002 3:55 PM

There are no atheist charities for the same reason that there are no atheist churches or atheist scriptures or atheist icons, etc. Although in the context of a believing culture we experience atheism to be an affirmation (of the simple, uncomplicated truth), it is ultimately a negation (of a preposterous lie that will someday exist only as an anthropological relic, if we survive.)

Ultimately, there is nothing to atheism. Ultimately, it’s ridiculous to have to deny something for which there is no evidence whatsoever. It is only necessary because the lie has such a powerful hold on the culture.

Since it is purely a negation, atheism is not the basis for anything. Individual atheists need associate only to assist each other in the promotion of the concept of atheism (the negation of theism). There is no reason for atheists to associate — as atheists — for any other purpose.

Does that mean that a group of individuals that happen to be predominantly atheistic cannot come together to form an altruistic institution? Of course not! It just means that there is no reason to identify the institution as “atheistic” since it is not atheism that underlies the altruism. The same is not true of religious charities.

Does this mean that atheists are less likely to be altruistic than believers? No. The current question can be answered without arguing that point. No need to get defensive!

Brian O’Toole

Graphic Rule

From: [unsigned]
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: Saturday, July 07, 2001 5:46 AM

There seems to me to be a fundamental difference between those who believe or suspend disbelief and those who seek a route based on critical thinking, science, etc. Those who turn to religion tend to be much more prone to the “herd” mentality while nontheists are often non-conformists who think “outside of the box” (or realize the box never existed). The fact that would someone would call themselves an atheist in a country that generally looks down on disbelievers and blames them for society’s ills is an example of this.

Theists would be likely to start a group through their church, while non-theists that I have known help people on a personal level or act through an existing secular organization. Also, a church is a group of like-minded people while atheists hold a wide spectrum of beliefs. A religious organization would let it be known that they are a religious because they have the motive of spreading their common faith. The term “Christian” might be included in the group’s title or they might proclaim in other ways, but it would be proclaimed because spreading the message is either the primary or secondary reason for the charity’s existence.

Atheists, not having any cohesive belief system to spread and no real agenda besides the charity itself, would not be likely let it be known in any way that it was run/started by atheists.

You must also consider the fact that they are many people who proclaim themselves Christians and few who proclaim themselves atheist. The secular to religious charity ratio might be equal considering this. I don’t know the stats.

I am an nontheist. I’ve done more volunteer work than anyone else I know. One place I volunteered was a church-run homeless shelter. There were mandatory prayer and study sessions for the men or they would be kicked out. I was doing paperwork on the second day of my volunteer work when I noticed that they would not let three men into the cafeteria because the men did not believe in god and would not pray. They chipped away at their wills by bringing in plates of steaming food and eventually the men capitulated, getting on their knees and going through the motions so they would not starve. When I confronted the preacher who was in charge, I was informed that I was evil and stupid for not believing and I needed Christ. Keep in mind, that this is the man who I’d given a considerable amount of my time to.

I know that these people aren’t all Christians, but it got me thinking. What is “doing a good deed”? Is it doing something either to avoid hell or to get to heaven, or is it doing something good for no other reason other than to do something good because it is the right thing to do?

Graphic Rule

From: “Clint O’Dell” <clint@freethoughtradio.com>
To: “’Positive Atheism Magazine’”
Subject: ‘Atheist Charities’
Date: February 08, 2002 12:07 PM

The group I’ve organized in Virginia Beach is getting involved with Meals on Wheels where every Tuesday afternoon atheist volunteers contribute two hours of their time to deliver food to those who can not cook for themselves.

There is something you can add to the list. Thanks.

Clint O’Dell
clint@freethoughtradio.com

ASquidEatingDoughInAPolyethyleneBag