'As Soon As You're Born,
They Make You Feel Small'
Dan Johnson

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Dan & Marquerite Johnson"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Sunday, August 06, 2000 2:13 PM

Hey, it's John Lennon coming down from heroin. What do you expect?

The "they" that I see in this (which is not necessarily what Lennon saw) are those who would tell us we are powerless or sinful, or that we need to submit to a god or to a religious dogma. I put it there to contrast the quip from Gora which follows. I put the ellipsis ("...") there to point to the rest of the line, which says, "...by giving you no time instead of it all." To me, this means that they are saying that our time on earth is but a blip compared to the time we will spend in Heaven or Hell, whereas, I think this is all the time we get. This is just my interpretation, though, and I'd bet Lennon had something entirely different in mind. I just wanted to contrast this phrase with Gora's in the context of the bigger scheme of things.