From: "Huascar Terra do Valle" (Brazil)
To: "Positive Atheism"
Subject: Re: Gallup: Atheists "Most Discriminated-Against" Group
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2000 7:10 PM

Dear Mr. Walker.

Just out of curiosity: few people know that Brazil, the biggest Catholic country in the world, has an atheist president. Some years ago he confessed being an atheist and lost the election to the government of São Paulo state. Recently he has been elected for the second turn for the presidency, and no political enemy dared to take advantage of the issue. He is still president and, of course, an atheist, thought not an activist. He is a very learned man, a ex-sociology teacher and author. He belonged to the leftist movement but when in power he realized that he had to abandon leftist ideas, just as happened to Mitterrand, Felipe González and Carlos Menen.

Huascar Terra do Valle

Fernando Henrique Cardoso
President of Brazil