Is Religion Harmful
To Society?
Johan Grahn

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Grahn, Johan"
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 1:24 AM

I go along with Victor Stenger when he says that from the founding of the city, faith and credulity enhanced our chances for survival. This was true until very recently (the past 300 years). It was imperative that we be able to get along, and the most efficient way to do this was through a myth that was common to the community.

Now, superstition impairs our species's chances for survival and (especially in its fundamentalistic variety) to abandon it will likely improve our chances for continuing as a species.

The Stenger article I am referring to is from his book, "Physics and Psychics" and is currently available only in PDF form. I am sorry it is in PDF and not text or HTML format. Please read it and see if you think he makes sense.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Grahn, Johan"
Date: Monday, April 24, 2000 4:04 PM

We do not speak out against the less intrusive religions (or even the more intrusive ones). We speak out against the actions of those religionists who wish to take from us our right to believe or disbelieve as we see fit.

I prevent the slippery slope fallacy by taking the position that all theists have valid reasons for believing. I have held this position since reading the above-mentioned Stenger article and also Michael Shermer's book How We Believe: The Search for God in an Age of Science.

Positive Atheism is a paper magazine. Send me your address and I'll send you some samples. We ask $24 per year in the U.S., US$28 in Canada and Mexico, and US$38 elsewhere. We also, at this time, make the PDF (Acrobat) file that we send to the printer availabe to International residents.

P.O. Box 16811
Portland, OR 97214

Short Grapic Rule