What Is A Skeptic?
Schechxybrowny

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Schechxybrowny
Subject: Re: Open Letter to Sen. Joseph Lieberman
Date: Friday, September 01, 2000 12:47 PM

I'm not sure of your question. A skeptic as opposed to an athiest or a humanist or a Freethinker? These words have very loosely applied definitions, and are more often used to compare one angle with the others within the larger picture of atheism or nontheism.

While humanism emphasizes the supremacy of the human (as far as entities or species that we have thus far encountered), Freethought would emphasize the primacy of rational thought in obtaining information and discerning fact. So skepticism would emphasize the tendency to doubt claims for the supernatural and other similar claims. We're mostly in the same basic camp, atheists, sometimes called nontheists, though some humanists and a few skeptics are theists.