LA Withdraws Support
For Boy Scouts
Peter Hopp

graphic rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Peter Hopp
Subject: Re: ABCNEWS.com LA to Cut Scout Ties Over Discrimination
Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 11:25 AM

Thanks for the complement. Lately, I've felt very out of touch, and I have noticed myself snapping at some of these nutcakes when perhaps I would have best exhibited patience.

This is a tough haul for me because not only is my health very frail, but I have recently torn my personal philosophy, my atheistic outlook, to the foundation and started, once again, trying to build a more comprehensive and more focused atheology. My goal is a personal atheology geared specifically toward ending the stigma and the bigotry in my own life, with the overall motive of popularizing what I have learned. Recently, my atheism has torn apart my social standing in two bars where I've been hanging.

As for the Boy Scouts, it is a good thing that the opposition is beginning to give the religious bigotry equal standing with the intolerance over sexuality. We hear much about their refusal to admit gays, but little about their religious test -- even from those you'd expect to hear more from along these lines.

This makes sense, though, because a 1999 Gallup Poll shows that 59 percent of Americans would vote for a homosexual for President, while only 49 percent would vote for an atheist. These figures -- the ratio, anyway -- have remained consistent for at least twenty years.

L.A. is unique in that popular radio talk-show host Tom Leykis is extremely outspoken against the Scouts specifically because of their discrimination against atheists, as are many Hollywood figures who support such bodies as People for the American Way and the Playboy Foundation's civil libertarian efforts. Secondly, the two Eagle Scouts who were kicked out for admitting their agnosticism came from that part of the state.

But to see the religious bigotry have equal billing in the City's explanation is uplifting, to say the least, as is having this fact covered so prominently by the press!