From:"Alan Urdaibay"
To:"Positive Atheism Magazine"<editor@positiveathiesm.org>
Subject: Re: Diocese Shrieks Over Cartoon; September Issue; FAQ Section
Date: Saturday, October 07, 2000 6:02 AM

Hello again Cliff,

It is not as obvious as many think that state funded religious education is a bad thing. The largest group of ex-Catholics here in the UK are those who have had the pleasure of attending state-funded Catholic schools.

Arguably, making life difficult for religious groups does nothing more than fire them up and allow them to play the role of the deprived underdog. If religious groups were able to get state funding for their schools -- as happens here in the UK -- all you'd have to do would be to sit back and wait for the slow but remorseless backlash against the indoctrination dished out. The local State Catholic School in this area (it's called Cuthbert Main) is almost certainly the largest local producer of convinced atheists. As a special treat (although not for the victims) the resident priest (and head of religious education) was found guilty of sexual abuse of children a couple of years ago.

We have state funding of religious schools but a rapidly declining rate of religious observance. In the US atheists could encourage religious state education as part of the religious freedom they want for themselves. Then just sit back and wait for the inevitable decline! I suppose the timescale could be a little annoying -- but at the speed of change nowadays I reckon a generation should do it.

An additional point -- a choice of religious education in schools would probably have the effect of reducing the proliferation of religious sects, cults and groups -- since there would be at least some standardisation of the mumbo jumbo taught.

It may not seem the most obvious way for atheists to achieve their objective but the lord works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform!

If you think this letter has sufficient merit I invite you to publish somewhere on your excellent web site.

Kind regards,

Alan Urdaibay
Atheism Central for Secondary Schools
www.atheismcentral.org.uk

"When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything."
--
Umberto Eco