Public Funding Of A Mosque
Matthew Hughes

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Matthew Hughes"
Subject: Re: thoughts
Date: Sunday, January 07, 2001 7:05 AM

Your story about the public funding of an Islamic Mosque is a textbook example of why the State should be forbidden from either supporting or interfering with any religion. All the people of Thomas Jefferson's era (and Lincoln and Grant, also) thought that if something was illegal for any, that religion should not be an excuse to break the law. Thus, we see why it is wrong to fund religious groups from the public treasury, because the funding of a Mosque outraged the Christians. Unfortunately, many Christians do not see that to fund Christian endeavors is an outrage to all non-Christians.

I once edited the newsletter of an atheist group, and much of the material I wrote is still on the website (I own the rights to my writings, and choose to make them available. Now, though, I have left the group and cannot speak for them. I now work particularly on behalf of those who choose not to belong to any groups, but wish to be activistic in their atheism nonetheless. I sincerely hope that we, as individuals, will be able to effect changes in our communities. One way to do this is to continue to write to the editor of the local paper. When we do this, we are not speaking to the fundamentalists, but rather the rational thinkers among us. In the United States, it is refreshing to read a letter from an atheist. That some papers would even print such a letter is encouraging, because the fundamentalist, history revisionist viewpoint seems, at times to dominate the Forum section. Whenever I read such a letter, I am encouraged to keep up the struggle.

Things have gotten so bad here, that at times I feel like giving up (and Bush hasn't even been inaugurated yet, but Gore would have been just as bad). However, if ever there was a time when we all need to keep up the fight, it is now. Just because the fundamentalists aren't listening, doesn't mean we should not continue to speak out.