Texas Christian Denounces
Bush, Robertson
Isidore D. Ranch

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Isidore D Ranch"
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 12:15 AM

Our position is that the question of whether or not a god exists is one of the stupidest reasons to get into a fight. We can understand why a theist would disagree, but we encourage atheists to take this position in the interest of working to solve the many problems the plague humanity. By opening the doors to communication with our theistic fellow-humans, we greatly increase the chances that we can do something to make this a better place for us all to live -- or at least try to prevent it from getting any worse.

One of these problems is the tendency on the part of certain sects within Christendom to wish to inflict their religious views upon us all. Fortunately, more Christians disagree with this practice than agree with it. Unfortunately, it is hard for a Christian individual or organization to do something about what is happening today without being branded as "an atheist" (which, for centuries, has been used as a vitriolic smear word).

May I suggest becoming involved with Americans United for the Separation of Church and State? Yesterday, Pat Robertson came on CNN and said that Rev. Barry Lynn, leader of AU, believes that fire engines should not put out a church that is on fire. Hopefully, most people could easily see this for the lie that it is. Unfortunately, Robertson and his ilk have convinced many people that they will go to the Christian Hell if they don't do what Robertson and his ilk tell them to do. This is scary, because Robertson is the main non-Catholic influence attempting to abolish state-church separation.

And it's state-church separation that, more than anything else, will protect not only your liberty to believe what you see as the truth, but also the dignity in believing what you see as the truth -- to believe or to disbelieve freely, unencumbered by any support or coercion from the government.

If AU is too secular for you (it consists mostly of religious groups, I hear), then perhaps you might wish to look in to the Baptist Joint Committee, a group of Separationist Baptists who prefer the traditional Baptist teachings of Helwys, Smyth, Williams (and, to some extent, the influence of Anne Hutchinson, as well as the more recent champion of state-church separation, Rev. George W. Truett), to the politicizing of the post-Reagan-Era Southern Baptist Convention of today, which is, I fear, squarely in the back pocket of Robertson and his Christian Coalition.

If nothing else, you can work as an individual, encouraging your friends, neighbors, and associates to think about these things, and to write to the newspapers, magazines, television stations and networks and, most importantly, those who supposedly represent us on Capitol Hill. We have even begun encouraging the formation of an international move to pressure the largest power in the world to stop this madness!