Cost-Benefit Analysis Of
Religion's Tax Exemption?
Carey

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Jesus is wheat, not rice, not corn, just wheat!
Date: Saturday, February 03, 2001 4:39 AM

You missed the quotation from President Ulysses S. Grant when he calculated how much this form of tax evasion could eventually cost us:

"In 1850, I believe, the church property in the United States, which paid no tax, amounted to $87 million. In 1900, without a check, it is safe to say, this property will reach a sum exceeding $3 billion. I would suggest the taxation of all property equally."

Now, Grant's $3 billion figure was in property value not the amount of the tax evasion.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair came up with some figures in the early 1970s or so, but I don't have them handy. The assessment wing of any state treasurer's office ought to be able to come up with these figures -- but don't count on it: since they don't have to pay taxes, why should we waste our already slim resources just to find out how much we cannot collect?

Perhaps Bush did bring his own rope. Perhaps his boondoggles will wake the public up to the mess we're already in by not listening to our Founding Fathers!

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Carey Sherrill"
Subject: Re: Cost-Benefit Analysis
Date: Saturday, February 03, 2001 11:29 PM

Grant's figure was nothing more than a prediction -- and rhetorical one at that. He lived from 1822 to 1885 and served in the Presidency from 1869 to 1877.

The insurance figures, as biased as insurance assessments are, are probably your closest bet to coming up with a working figure.

You're omitting the population increase, aren't you?