Atheist Peace Campaigner
(unsigned)

We edited these letters to make them readable.

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Atheist campaigner at risk,please help
Date: Sunday, February 18, 2001 8:51 PM

The question is not do we care but what can we do? When the need for national identity is met through membership in this or that church, both the nationalities and the churches suffer. Would that Greece could use her history as a focus for national identity. Would that Erin adopt her tendency for producing the best writers and poets as the focus of her national identity. All they want, in this respect, is to be able to define their own values as people groups and avoid having the larger global community inflict its values on them.

But there's even more to it than that, because the religions are being used as pawns in a giant territorial struggle. Loyalism to the religion is the litmus test for which side you're on, and even atheists express loyalty to this or that church just because of the political struggle. I doubt the Irish are any more or less superstitious than the rest of the world, but you wouldn't know this to hear the churches invoked as tokens of party loyalty.

But then the question is what might happen, internally, to Ireland if Britain left her to solve these problems herself? Would there be genocide on a scale of which what we see today is but a foretaste?

As for your question, I must admit that your letter is difficult to read, and I don't really understand what, specifically, you are asking. If you could clarify the main essence of your point and briefly express your question, I could try to provide more detailed thought on the matter. You would also make it easier to solicit help from the public if you make the point easier to grasp. Not all of us are very good at understanding complex problems.