Newberg On TV:
Black Cloud Over Atheist
James Beacham

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Fox 6 News and Newberg
Date: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 5:56 PM

They also could have known who would be the most reactionary atheistic spokesperson in town. If the press is looking for a dichotomy, they'll find it. It's much easier to put this into a 90-second bit than it is to squeeze a reasoned discussion into the same time frame. It took eleven pages in Positive Atheism's April issue just to scratch the surface of both the implications of Newberg's findings and also of the somewhat slipshod conclusions to which he comes.

Television news clips are not the way come to reasoned conclusions such as those which we offer in the April edition: Newberg's findings are important not only for the skeptics' peace of mind but also for the dignity of the theist; Newberg's conclusions are based upon a biased presentation of not only the facts but also the way humans have examined and described reality for over two-and-a-half millennia. This is one of several reasons why I have never owned a television set my entire adult life. I have one now, but (a) it is not mine, and (b) it is not hooked up to an antenna; rather, it is connected to the karaoke machine.