From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive Atheism, Cliff's Writings
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2001 11:56 PM

The only thing I would point out is that we have not been "our nation" for 500 years. We have been "our nation" for a little over 210 years. Before then, we were part of the United Kingdom, which was then and still is a Christian nation.

Part of why we became "our nation" in 1789 was to eliminate the elements of monarchy and theocracy from our government. The abuses inherent in such a system became only too apparent when settlers tried to change things from within that system. Only by developing a new constitution -- from scratch -- did we begin to reduce the abuses that come from organized religion having too much power.

We did not eliminate organized religion's power, and very quickly (by the time of the Grant administration, but against Grant's stern opposition), gave her more power than she needs by granting her a tax exemption. Later, during the Eisenhower administration (and with Eisenhower's approval), we endorsed the Christian religion by placing the words "under God" into our Pledge of Allegiance and writing the words "In God We Trust" onto all currency (rather than on a few incidental coins here and there). Most importantly, we replaced the original motto of Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin, "E Pluribus Unum" (which means, "Of Many, One" -- a multicultural sentiment if I've ever heard one) with "In God We Trust" -- referring, of course, to the Christian god, as becomes clear when one examines the arguments made in favor of this change.