The 'Left Behind'
Scenario Is Really Real
[unsigned]

Shorter Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 5:09 PM

I don't have to prove that gods don't exist, because I am not the one saying anything about gods.

You are the one who uses language such as, "God also tells us that the Prophets of the Holy Bible wrote the Scriptures under the direction of the Holy Spirit." Since you are the one claiming that such thing as a god exists, you are the one who is obligated to make a case for your claim.

In fact, it is impossible to emperically disprove any existential claim. Because of this, the person listening to the claim (in this case, the atheist), is not required to bring forth any proof for her skepticism, but merely to assess the the claim and see if that claim justifies giving her assent to it.

If this were not the case, we'd all be in de-deep doo doo, because we'd be obligated to believe anything that anybody told us. The harder it is to disprove a claim, the more "truthful" such a claim would become, simply because of the impossibility to disprove it! If I were to claim that I have a large stuffed gorilla in my tiny apartment, and further told you that you could disprove my claim by visiting my home and taking a look (it's awfully hard to hide a large stuffed gorilla), this would be easy to disprove. But, were it not for the fact that the burden of proof rests upon the one who makes the claim, then I could claim that a bottle of penicillin tablets is orbiting the planet Neptune. If I further stated that not even Hubble could detect this bottle, you would be obligated to believe me because now you would have no way to disprove my claim that this bottle exists.

And if you cannot disprove it, then the argument must be quite formidable, don't you think?

No! This is not how it works! It doesn't matter if the Hubble can see the bottle or not! Since I made the claim, I am the one who is responsible for bringing forth evidence and strong argument in favor of my claim. If I don't do this, then you have no business believing what I told you!

Thus, if either of us has any proving to do, it is yourself, because you are the one who is talking about gods, not I. Until you wrote me this letter, I was simply minding my own business. Atheism, in its classic form, does not assert that no gods exist (although a few atheists do make this assertion). Atheism, in its classic form, simply has not encountered any reason for believing the claims of theism. Most of us hardly ever even think upon the matter of gods and angels and demons because these claims are usually so utterly vacant that they are not worthy of our time or attention.

I will delete the web-page URLs you sent, because this goes against our policy of discussing issues in one's own words. You are welcome, however, to list, in detail (and in your own words), all 10,000 Bible prophecies that you assert have been unquestionably fulfilled, and the reasons why we ought not to believe any alternate possibilities but are forced to conclude that these are genuine, detailed predictions which were fulfilled in a specific manner. I have made quite a study of alleged claims that Bible predictions have been fulfilled, and not one of them has withstood my scrutiny -- not one of them is convincing enough to even warrant a second look. In the interest of truthfulness, I will agree to take a look at any specific and detailed claims you may have, and will agree to assent to any claims you may offer which do not present me with any choice but to believe them. You must, however, make an effort to show that alternative explanations are utterly impossible (such as the late-dating of Daniel 12 or the Apostles writing the Gospels around the passages in Hebrew Scripture that they thought described Christ).

As for the Middle East: Bible prophecy geeks have been saying this since I was a child, but nothing they've predicted has panned out. In fact, many earlier books such as The Late-Great Planet Earth and Millions Now Living Will Never Die have rendered themselves obsolete because their "predictions" are of the same caliber as those of Jeanne Dixon and the palm reader at the County Fair. These are all just opportunistic hucksters playing on the fears of the gullible -- and selling millions of "Left Behind"-style books and lectures.

One scheister gazes into a crystal ball, and the other thumps a Bible. They care naught what damage their dogma brings to those who take it as truth. This stuff is a worse plague on our society than the drug problem, in my opinion (but only because drug use is, for the most part, a self-limiting behavior, killing off those who carry it too far). I strongly urge you to consider the words of the Jesus character in your own book: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

I notice that you haven't the nerve to sign your name to this e-mail. This speaks volumes as to what you think about your own integrity.

Shorter Graphic Rule