Evangelizing From
A Business Address?
Ray Franz

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ray Franz"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2001 5:14 PM

Yeah, I get stuff that's obviously from the "work" account all the time. (I see things in the e-mail addresses that the readers will never see because I remove the addresses before posting.) So that didn't dawn on me until her boss joined the fray!

Some workplaces double as "outreach ministries," as you probably know: everybody who works there belongs to the same sect. I once belonged to a group that owned a chain of restaurants and janitorial services. This was a commune (a cult, as some would say) so we all worked to support the group and "volunteered" our time as a tax dodge. But the work always took a back seat to any opportunities for evangelism. The front, as always, was a drug rehab program of the "Hotel California" variety, where people checked in but never left (though the drug rehab was not why I was there: I came in via the restaurant outreach).