Hurting Us All
As Atheists
Tony

To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Protecting Our Good Name
Date: Saturday, May 05, 2001 5:06 PM

You would think this individual (as a web host herself) would take a look around the PAM site and have a little appreciation for all of the work you have put into this site and do the respectable thing by not stepping on your toes (in a way our toes since her actions could hurt us all as atheists). Glad you were able to resolve the issue. I was thinking about visiting her site to give her a piece of my mind but that would only be adding hits to her counter so I will just ignore her.

Best wishes ("wishes" from a rationalist?),

Tony

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: Saturday, May 05, 2001 4:30 PM

It's worse than that: she actually issued one of those prestigious-looking awards to PAM! In fact, I removed the awards section from our front page just days before she registered her domain as positiveatheist.com, and have since removed the award itself.

But even if we had run into a more serious problem, a campaign to send our readers over there to complain would not have been a good thing. I have more than enough paperwork to show that I have registered the service mark, and many letters of endorsement from leading spokespersons in the nontheistic movements, showing that I have precedent and that I am a prolific writer and a very prominent activist, and that this is the name with which I have chosen to identify my work.

That she agreed to call it "A Positive Atheist on the Web" just backs up my ongoing hypothesis that most people are basically good, reasonable people. Folks may say what they wish about the concepts variuosly called "positive atheism," but only we may use the letter sequence "Positive Atheism" in the title of a print magazine or website in the state of Oregon (which effectively prevents any website from using this name). I'm very happy that we needed to go no further than touting the concept of truthfulness in order to bring this point home. This gives me a good feeling about the human species.