Rand Stamp Background:
Are You An Objectivist?
Josh

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Haven for Reason, Invite.
Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 8:51 PM

I put the Rand stamp up (and bought almost 3,000 of them for the magazine) for two reasons: (1) the USPS finally issued a stamp honoring someone who was openly atheistic; (2) it's pretty. If someone could come up with other stamps (from any country) which honor people who were specifically and openly atheistic, I'd vary the background from page to page. I can't think of a way to overtly announce that my use of the image is not an endorsement of Rand's work without sounding pedantic, so I leave it alone except to mention it in a few Letters responses. If it is an endorsement of anything, it is an endorsement of the USPS's portrayal of an out-of-the-closet atheist on a postage stamp.

Otherwise, I have read very little of Rand's work, being most heavily influenced, philosophically, by Galileo, William Shakespeare, Robert Burns, John Locke, Frances Wright, Mary Wollstonecraft, Percy Byssche Shelly, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), Oscar Wilde, Abraham Lincoln, Aleister Crowley, Mark Twain, William E. H. Lecky, Robert Green Ingersoll, Freiderich Nietzsche, Matilda Joslyn Gage, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, James Joyce, Emma Goldman, H. L. Mencken, Thomas Edison, Margaret Sanger, Stanley Kubrick, Joseph Lewis, Margaret Knight, Gora, Gandhi, Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, Richard Robinson, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, James A. Michener, Hyam Maccoby, Utah Philips, Victor Stenger, William S. Burroughs, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Jimmy Carter, Lenny Bruce, Robert Anton Wilson, Antony Flew, Larry King, Timothy Leary, Theodore M. Drange, Bill Rees, Frank Zappa, Ted Patrick, Abbie Hoffman, Robert M. Price, John Lennon, Stanton Peele, Eric Burdon, James Call, Jimi Hendrix, Conrad Goeringer, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Chuck Shepherd, Alice Cooper, Richard Dawkins, Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, George H. Smith, Mojo Nixon, Jello Biafra, "Cardboard" Elvis, Robert Fripp, Philip John Rawsthorne, Jonathan Rauch, Randy Cassingham, Michael Shermer, and my parents and grandparents -- particularly my mother (who read Rand) and my father's mother. Every one of these people has done at least something which profoundly changed me forever in a way that I currently appreciate. Others, not on this list, have affected me in ways I could do without. I'm sure there are some who belong on this list more than some who are, but this is just off the top of my head. Several are people I've met or known personally, and most are people whose lives I've studied in part. The musicians mentioned have affected me either through the philosophical impact of some of their lyrics or personally, either as acquaintances or by their lives.