Praying To Jesus: Like
Communicating With The Dead?
Dr. Newton Joseph

From: "Dr. Newton Joseph"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: whats it like talking to the dead?
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:19:42 -0700

What do you call it when someone communicates with the dead?

Isn't anyone aware that there are millions of people who communicate with the dead and don't think anything is wrong? -- a person that has been dead for two thousand years!

If someone said they were communicating with Abraham Lincoln wouldn't a reasonable person raise an eyebrow? Why is communicating with someone who has been dead for 136 years more bizarre than one who has been dead for 2000 years? We know for sure Lincoln was a real man. We see his photos and read his letters. It is claimed that a man who lived two thousand years ago, but we don't have anything that he wrote. What we do have are plenty of stories of what was allegedly said in second-, third- or forth-hand stories, by people who never met him.

I think a reasonable person might say one cannot depend on such information knowing that distortions, fake quotes, misquotes, and misleading attributions are often put into the mouths of others. Why are people so gullible? I suppose no one wants to get caught by not believing -- just in case.