As Long You Believe,
It Doesn't Matter What
James Call

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "James Call"
Subject: Re: Beliefnet
Date: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:49 PM

It's okay even if you don't believe, 'cause I hear they got an atheist section (I wouln't know, 'cause I've never been there).

In fact, it's okay even if it ain't okay, 'cause we're spending a mere blip of time on an insignificant grain of sand which itself won't even be around by the time the next wave washes to shore. But we won't notice 'cause we'll be no more.

And the chances that we would ever have been born are a mere pittance compared to the odds that it would be some other century as opposed to it being today, when it's our turn to be alive.

As the karaoke version of that Monty Python song goes, "Life's a piece of spit / And that's the size of it." That's how they censor karaoke -- they change the words, like in Alanis: "Are you thinking of me when you mess her?" (Really!) or in Nilsson: "You're breakin' my heart / You're tearin' it apart / So four cue!" (Not really!) What's not okay is that at some places, if you sing the real word, you're done singing for the night. I mean, isn't this a bar? how old do you have to be to get in here!? I realize that guy over there still wears his cap backwards, but really, now!

So, even if beliefnet thinks it's okay, it's still okay. We're here and we do well to make the most of it that we can with what little we got, 'cause no one can do more.

I wonder if beliefnet thinks that's okay, too. I wonder if they change all the naughty words in their Bible readings.