Seeing Things In A Newer,
Overall Better Way
(unsigned)

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Big_List_Of_Quotations
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2001 7:44 AM

Thanks for the compliment. We're not all that slick, but we try.

We do not try to turn anybody into atheists, but prefer to trust people to make their own judgements as to how they will run their lives. However, we do think our fellow-humans deserve to hear both sides of the story when it comes to the religion in general, and the dominant and domineering Christian religion in particular. The mainstream press and the public at large are still a bit skittish when it comes to criticizing religion.

The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame.

True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his imbecilities as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge. Did Darrow, in the course of his dreadful bombardment of Bryan, drop a few shells, incidentally, into measurably cleaner camps? Then let the garrisons of those camps look to their defenses. They are free to shoot back. But they can't disarm their enemy.
     -- H. L. Mencken, "Aftermath" (coverage of the Scopes Trial) The Baltimore Evening Sun, (September 14, 1925)