'Gun Violence' Or
'Morality In Schools'?
Matthew Wong

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Matthew Wong"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Thursday, March 08, 2001 5:30 AM

The two things that prevent me from completely abandoning hope for America's future are first America's inherent diversity, and secondly, the fact that by far the least church-going segment of our society is the under-30 crowd -- those who grew up playing with toy dinosaurs and listening to Boy George. The bulk of our fundamentalist Christian population consists mainly of the very poor and the elderly.

As for the recent school shootings in San Diego, one element of this story is conspicuous by its absence: mention of Brenda Spencer, who, in 1978 or so, shot almost two dozen small children and killed a janitor. Why? "I don't like Mondays," she told reporters. The punk-era rock group Boomtown Rats had a hit with a song titled, "I Don't Like Mondays," which is about Ms. Spencer -- who is, by the way, still languishing in a California women's prison. Now why are the elements in our society, those who exploit these tragedies, those who holler and wail and have conniption fits, those who pontificate about declining morality, those who want to post one religion's version of an ancient table of laws which was allegedly given on a certain mountain that cannot even be found today -- why are they not reminding us of what happened in 1978? It's because this fact makes their theory look bad: If there is no such thing as "the good old days," then their control-issue program for "restoration" is unneeded.