From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Dick Lidbom"
Subject: Re: My quote
Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 8:05 PM

I'd put it in our Scary Quotes section right away -- if I had your real name. (Are you Dick Lidbom or "Derek"?)

This is one if the clearest, most easily understood expressions of a common slander of the atheistic position that I've ever seen. Although a quick browse through our Scary Quotes section will reveal this to be anything but original (so stop shining your nails). Nevertheless, I will hand it to you for your very succinct wording of this very popular lie about atheists.

Making your case by misrepresenting your opponent's position (like you've done here) is an extremely effective way to bring discredit to your own position. And since the theistic position is (we think) worthy of being discredited (it usually discredits itself, as your little quip shows), we are more than happy to post it.

And a large fraction of our website responds to with this very lie (not that it's so tricky that we really need to spend much energy on it, but that this lie is just so popular among meddling and dishonest Christians). In any event, very few atheists believe the way you portray us, and those who do almost always turn out to be ex-theists rebelling emotionally against what they see as the authority of a corrupt church. Very few of the tiny fraction of atheists who think this way came to their atheistic views through a process involving reason.