From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Joe Thome"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: August 06, 2001 12:41 AM

Our "National Bible Week" poster has several links to various lists, and we have started the Holy Bible section in our Scary Quotes page, which will soon feature the Freedom From Religion Foundation's Mother's Day 1992 ad from the New York Times, talking about brutality to women and children.

We also feature the complete and unexpurgated The Bible Unmasked by Joseph Lewis, which showcases two Bible passages that Lewis found so raunchy that he refused to print them! Several soft-core porn sites link to this book, so it is quite popular. I hand-typed this myself several years ago, so we've got the only copy online. This book is almost impossible to find any more.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Joe Thome"
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: August 21, 2001 6:34 AM

I have been working on a list for National Bible Week for several years, and it is linked from our National Bible Week Poster page. At the bottom of the National Bible Week page, you will see several links to pages related to absurd Bible passages. My big file, which is very haphazard, I will admit, is called "Cliff Walker's Big List of Bible Passages." I have been adding to this list for years, and some of the passages are intact while others are just descriptions that you'll have to look up yourself. As I mentioned, it's not very well organized, and its purpose is so atheists can use it to find passages they wish to discuss. This is why I don't publicize this page very often, though I do try to mail it out each November during National Bible Week so that people can write to their newspapers and talk about what they find when they read the Bible.

Recently, I began work on the Holy Bible section of our Big List of Quotations. In it (so far) are the text to the National Bible Week Poster, the text of Glenn Carver's "Spiritual Guide To Gracious Living," The text to the Freedom From Religion Foundation's Mother's Day advertisement that they placed in the New York Times on May 8, 1992, and which was an early influence on me to focus my activism on atheistic issues, and the text of our "Which Ten Commandments?" handbill, suitable for posting on telephone poles and free speech kiosks and the bulletin board at the grocery store. As I put together more of the Big List of Quotations, I will add to the Holy Bible section. I still don't know how best to present the material in Cliff Walker's Big List of Bible Passages, but I'm sure the right idea will some to me as I keep working on it.

I'm sure there are other lists on the Web, but I'm usually so busy putting this thing together that I don't get much of a chance to see what else is out there. If you start with the original National Bible Week Poster and check all the links at the bottom of that page, you will have more absurd and brutal and pornographic Bible passages than you'll know what to do with. I should know -- I still don't yet know what to do with them all as I try to put together this section of the Big List of Quotations!

One more thing: You might be thinking about the Dear Dr. Laura bit that we published when it first hit the Inboxes.