Judge Moore: Madison
Lauds Commandments!?
Carey Sherrill

From: "Carey Sherrill"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Sent: September 09, 2001 6:29 PM
Subject: News

Alabama Justice Denies Atheist Request

September 7

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- State Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has denied a request from an atheists group to put a statue of the organization's symbol in the lobby of the state judicial building.

American Atheists Inc. is the latest group to try to place a statue in the building since Moore had a monument to the Ten Commandments quietly moved into the building in August.

The group's state director Larry Darby had sent a letter to Moore requesting permission to place the statue in the building.

Moore replied Friday with a letter denying the request, saying it was rejected "as not being in conformity with the purpose or theme of the foundation of American Law and government."

Darby said the sculpture would have served as a counterpoint to the Ten Commandments monument and "to remind visitors that our American judicial system and government were forged from Enlightenment thinking."

A group of black legislators is seeking to place a monument in the building honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech. Moore told them last week to submit a letter.

He had said through a spokesman he did not plan to allow any displays in the building other than the Ten Commandments monument, which also contains quotations from Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and other Founding Fathers.

Moore has said its purpose is to show that the Commandments inspired modern law.

Moore, a Republican, displayed a wooden plaque of the Commandments on the wall of his courtroom when he was a circuit court judge. He was elected chief justice in November after campaigning as "Alabama's Ten Commandments judge."

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: News
Date: September 09, 2001 5:47 PM

He had said through a spokesman he did not plan to allow any displays in the building other than the Ten Commandments monument, which also contains quotations from Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and other Founding Fathers.

I wonder if this is the phony Madison quotation.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/madphony.htm

To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 10, 2001 2:56 PM

Wow. I hadn't taken a look at the new and improved quotation section. Superior work!

As long as I live, I don't expect to ever understand what would make someone fabricate a quotation to support their perspective. They know they're making it up. David Barton's misquote is ludicrous. You could make the Bible say anything using Barton's model of quotation. You could make it say people should stone their children to death for misbehaving ... oh, wait, it does say that. If you have to lie to prove your point, it isn't a point worth proving.

On the positive side, I am trying these days to train myself not to say "Jesus!" or "Gawd-damn!" or even "holy shit!" when startled or upset. I'm not sure when these became a part of my lexicon, but I'm looking to replace them. I've decided on "Zeus!" It's one syllable, safely relegated to mythology, similar in sound to "Jesus!", and unlikely (I hope) to offend atheist or theist alike.

Carey

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 10, 2001 6:21 PM

I've decided on "Zeus!" It's one syllable, safely relegated to mythology, similar in sound to "Jesus!", and unlikely (I hope) to offend atheist or theist alike.

"Jesus," "Gaud-Damn," and "Holy Shit" are likewise safely relegated to mythology.

And being one syllable, it is easier for someone not quite listening (or hearing impaired) to mistake it and perhaps make the social blunder of asking you to repeat yourelf (when you just blasphemed The One True God!?).

To: "Positive Atheism Magazine"<editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 10, 2001 7:59 PM

"Jesus," "Gaud-Damn," and "Holy Shit" are likewise safely relegated to mythology.

For you and me they are, but not everyone's ready let go.

perhaps make the social blunder of asking you to repeat yourelf

Thus giving me an opportunity to explain what I said and why. Not in an evangelizing way, but not ashamed of my humanism either.

Carey