Rethinking The Call
To Respect Theists
Carey Sherrill

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: A Beacon for Survivors (Heroic Stories)
Date: September 12, 2001 12:25 AM

Not so fast.

What was the day that the race war was started in the novel The Turner Diaries? Wasn't that September 11?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 12, 2001 8:02 PM

I am continuing to hope that believers themselves will raise the same questions. Many atheists came out of the Holocaust.

That does not justify the Holocaust, but that's just what happened. People saw that there cannot possibly be a God who is a "Him" watching over us.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 13, 2001 4:17 AM

More and more, as I remember the fruits of my studies comparing American with European religiosity, I see World War II as the deciding point where a large chunk of Europeans jettisoned their faith in a personal deity. Many reports from the Holocaust include telling questions regarding how a deity who cares could allow this to happen.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 13, 2001 6:39 PM

I'm not convinced that very many are going to "camp out on it mentally." This was truly a wake-up call for a lot of us. I'm thinking that this will shatter the faith of a lot of people, particularly those who are younger and not as set in their ways.

The statistics are promising: The densest groups of Americans who believe Jesus will personally duke it out with Satan in some war in either the near or distant future are the elderly and the very poor. Those who are least likely to believe this are the under-30 crowd.

Another thing we know about the under-30 crowd (having been there ourselves -- or even being there now and being able to witness but not necessarily to compare): younger adults and teenagers tend to be more impressionable. This is particularly true considering that many haven't had the opportunity to allow experience to teach them. But, these are the years when the Santa Claus assumptions of our parents (religious myths as well as political myths) are jettisoned to make room for what we consider (at the time) to be our observations (although these "observations" may be as simple as picking some snippet of philosophy up from the lyric of a popular song).

So, I am hopeful that what comes out of this will be a change in people's understanding of God, and the role He plays (or doesn't play) in World affairs. This is particularly likely if September 11 is just the beginning and more along the lines of each major city gets touched with something like this.

Added: September 16, 2001

"But Tuesday was a perversion of Islam, according to what I have heard said about it. And can't any philosophy be perverted to support the claims of it's lunatic fringe?"

"Every religious philosophy I've come across, with the exception of Buddhism, which, like Unitarians, are atheistic, is already a perversion of humanistic tenets. Any further perversion is just a matter of degree."