A God Loves Us?
That Really Cares?
Steven Goshe

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Steven Goshe"
Subject: Re: God Loves Us?
Date: September 15, 2001 5:48 AM

I am suggesting that this tragedy will trounce the faith of many Americans, just as World Wars I and II essentially eliminated the faith of Europeans: Bush being bent on retaliation is sure to bring more acts of terror upon our citizens and cost the lives of thousands of our soldiers. After this, many will question the existence of a personal God, a deity who listens to prayers and cares about humans. We may see a lot of Liberals and pantheists, but the straight-up theist is, I think, a dying breed.

The exploitative Day of Prayer will contribute to this loss of faith in the long run, as many people wake up to just how opportunistic this event ended up being.

In fact, I'm willing to suggest that the Day of Prayer and related festivities was designed to ward off the inevitable damage to religion's reputation for providing answers: none of the answers I've heard are satisfying by any stretch. I am currently trying to gather a collection of "explanations" for why God let this happen to us.

Thanks for your support and keep writing!